Mountain Project Logo

RRG Flat Hollow Parking Lot Approach

Original Post
Greg Koeppen · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 41

Heading to RRG for the first time this weekend, how is the hill down to the flat hallow parking lot?

I drive a not modified GMC Savana( aka Chevy Express).  Will I be fine going up and down the hill or should I stay at the top?

Thanks

Cole T · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 496

stay at the top for sure, there are some serious potholes on that hill right now

2 ChainS · · Four Bracelets · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Are you a risk taker, Greg? I've been down there in a pruis & somehow managed to make it out of there alive-when the hill was much worse several years ago. Recently Ive noticed some climbers crazy enough to take brand new BMW's down there-Sore Heel Parking area.

Cole T · · Cincinnati, OH · Joined May 2012 · Points: 496

I guess I should rephrase, I've made it down recently in a kia soul and thankfully managed to avoid the potholes. if you hit a pothole, your toast. As Slug said, depends on how much of a risk  you want to take

Thanks for the quick response.  Not the answer I was hoping for but much better than driving down the hill when I shouldn't.

Any other parking areas I should stay away from?

Barry M · · WV · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

This spring we where there the difference one days worth of traveling out in vehicles not suited was crazy. If people only drove it in vehicles suited for the road it wouldn’t get so rowdy. We where the last to leave that day and you could see ALL the way up where people fought and spun their way up. A Prius or BWM is just silly to take there. The hike from the main lot doesn’t take much longer then driving. 

If you have AWD with decent clearance or 4WD with good clearance.....you also need to have tires that are not worn out. Then tack on knowing how to drive and I’d say get it. Our 4WD 2500 creeped out without loosing traction once. 

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656

It's pretty bad right now. There are some very deep ruts in spots. I'd say stay at the top unless you have a high clearance vehicle at the very least.

I ended up parking at the top, got a ride up and down from some random other climbers with more offroad worthy vehicles.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "RRG Flat Hollow Parking Lot Approach"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started