Mountain Project Logo

Cookie policy

Original Post
Jordan Duncan · · Norwalk, OH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 48

The cookie policy notification popping up on every new page I open seems unecessary and is quite annoying. There needs to be an accept or opt-in option. I’m tired of clicking the little x every time I open a new page. I have the iPhone app. 

Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40

Agree. This gets old real quick. 

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,879

I’m not aware that we do this at all. Can you post a screenshot that shows the popup?  Thanks. 

Thanks Jordan, I'll look into this.  One more thing would help a bunch: if you click "Cookie Policy", does that take you to an REI page, or some other site?  This looks totally unfamiliar to me so I'm a bit stumped.

It’s the REI cookie policy change. It recommends turning in limit as tracking in IOS settings but I’ve always had this on and it just started being an issue recently. 

Kees van der Heiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 40

I watch mountain project in Safari, I don't use a seperate app. On the forum I get this same Cookie warning on every single page I click. When i click "Cookie Policy", I indeed go to a REI page.

Rachel Vecchitto · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 46

Hey all - sorry for taking a bit to look into this. That banner is something we were required to add thanks to GDPR (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gener…). However, it should only be showing up if you're in the EU, and then it should only show up once.

I made some changes so that it should never show up when you're browsing the forum from the mobile app, and in a few other cases where it doesn't make sense.

If you have cookies disabled, you will unfortunately see the banner on every page view. If you're in the US but browsing via a VPN or something that sets your location to an EU country, you'll see the banner.

If you're still seeing issues with the banner showing up too much, please post here and I'll probably reach out to get more details.

Jozsef Korcsmaros · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Rachel, I’m on iPhone from the EU and still getting the banner on every page. Is there anything I can do about it? 

Rachel Vecchitto · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 46
Jozsef Korcsmaros wrote: Rachel, I’m on iPhone from the EU and still getting the banner on every page. Is there anything I can do about it? 

Do you have cookies disabled?

Are you seeing this behavior on desktop, mobile web, or using the forums via the mobile app? I'll try to replicate your issue once I know the details and see what's going on.
Jozsef Korcsmaros · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I’m using Safari on iPhone to access the mobile page, I have Prevent cross site tracking enabled, Block all cookies disabled and Ask websites not to track me enabled. Thanks in advance! 

Bryan · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 351

I'm on an iPhone on the app. Cookie message pops up on every page I open. Using VPN but disabled and still got the message.

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

i was extremely disappointed in the entitlement of this thread. I was hoping for guidelines and proper dunk techniques for eating / consume said cookies

While I cannot offer chocolate chip nor peanut butter, I might have got this fixed.  I could never reproduce it myself, but I did find suspicious circumstances that I've updated.

There is a good chance you have to log out and log back in (which clears all your cookies) before this will be fixed for you.  Please let me know if it's fixed!  Thanks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Cookie policy"