Mountain Project Logo

How would you rate these bolts?

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,360

I'll pile on

Pjm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20
Ed Henicle wrote: I'll pile on

Nice!

Maximilian Tagher · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 65

Wow, kudos to Pjm for upholding that promise; I really wasn't taking it seriously. In any case, I've passed on the money to the ASCA

My friend found another instance of two bolts at an anchor failing in Taiwan:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/110896313/are-bolted-anchors-safe-at-long-dong-taiwan#ForumMessage-110899980

Pjm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 20
Maximilian Tagher wrote: Wow, kudos to Pjm for upholding that promise; I really wasn't taking it seriously. In any case, I've passed on the money to the ASCA

Hey man, that's great! Ed added $50 so your thread and my bet ended up raising $250 for ASCA!

Plus matching this month by Planet Granite! 

Sam Lightner, Jr. · · Lander, WY · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,476

External appearance means next to nothing. You cannot determine safety there. That is not where most of them fail.

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,360

Correct - getting back to the original question - how would I rate these bolts? I would agree with your 3/5 assessment and everyone's comments (0=unsafe, replace immediately, 5 = the latest hardware installed by Greg Barnes himself). So - nice to replace, but not a safety issue, and probably not a top replacement priority.  I see bolts like those all over Tahoe, Yosemite, and local crags. As Sam points out, you really don't know the true condition until you start the replacement process and examine the bolt inside the hole. Thanks for starting the thread!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "How would you rate these bolts?"