Mountain Project Logo

Tahquitz Ice Climbing

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 130

rad rime!

master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 152

The ice is in boys and gals, just got back and while the flows are not quite 1000' they are still fun. Calling all flatlandera to grab your axes and screws and take back the rock from the hillside locals!!!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,460

The following is a conditions report for LOCALS ONLY!

Fresh snow coming down in Humber Park currently after a bit of misty rain. Raining down in town.

Solid base of hardpack icy snow all over. Hopefully this fresh stuff will loosen it up.

If there ever is ice in the area it would be now.

Humber Park gate is closed only about 10 parking spots available, Sheriff handing out tix to errant parkers blocking road. Still parking available on Forest Dr.

Sloppy Second · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

No more excuses!

I am checking this thread on Monday morning and expect to see pics of proud sends.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60
master gumby wrote: The ice is in boys and gals, just got back and while the flows are not quite 1000' they are still fun. Calling all flatlandera to grab your axes and screws and take back the rock from the hillside locals!!!

From where?  Been nice and cold but seems like the ice would be pretty buried and the approaches pretty deep.

This pic from yesterday. Weeping wall totally covered in snow. Sunshine wall totes dry this morning though.

Checked out all of Tah via scope (except south face), couldn't find any ice but mixed conditions look good!

Edit: Actually, looking closer at Weeping wall it looks like there's some pickable ice!
Hamik Mukelyan · · Manhattan Beach, CA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 285

Aight, if any of y'all climbed this weekend, 1) I hate you, 2) show me the effing pictures, 3) you better have left some ice for me. Kthx

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
Tradiban wrote: This pic from yesterday. Weeping wall totally covered in snow. Sunshine wall totes dry this morning though.

Checked out all of Tah via scope (except south face), couldn't find any ice but mixed conditions look good!

Edit: Actually, looking closer at Weeping wall it looks like there's some pickable ice!

Well then.... if you think you can climb that “ICE” go for it! For someone who advocated the addition of bolts to every climb there I for one want to see some photos of you front pointing up Revelations.... I will hold.

Do you even know what ICE is? 

Respectively, Guy Keesee. 
Alejandro Alpine · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Guy Keesee wrote:

Well then.... if you think you can climb that “ICE” go for it! For someone who advocated the addition of bolts to every climb there I for one want to see some photos of you front pointing up Revelations.... I will hold.

Guy,

You did not just call out one of the die hard locals of the world class alpine taquitos.

These dudes are hardcore, yet, I’m afraid you’ll never get to see a picture of any of them on the rock “front pointing” anything. However, they tend to be pretty good forum gangbangers.

For future reference, what they consider ice there is nothing more than a thin membrane covering holes, pretty sure there’s a name for that.

Guy Keesee wrote:

Front pointing would have damaged the rock in this ice. Def not thick enough for any screws either. You do the math.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
Tradiban wrote:

Front pointing would have damaged the rock in this ice. Def not thick enough for any screws either. You do the math.

Dude! So how are you going to climb it? Pray tell. 

1 + 3 = 0     Is that the math? 
Really really eager to know. Has some new technologies emerged, that this dinosaur (me) missed???? ICE Velcro? .... sticks to wet snow!!! 
master gumby · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 152
Alejandro Alpine wrote:

Guy,

You did not just call out one of the die hard locals of the world class alpine taquitos.

These dudes are hardcore, yet, I’m afraid you’ll never get to see a picture of any of them on the rock “front pointing” anything. However, they tend to be pretty good forum gangbangers.

For future reference, what they consider ice there is nothing more than a thin membrane covering holes, pretty sure there’s a name for that.

You don't have to be upset because you ain't a local brajmahala anonymous...

Guy Keesee wrote:

Dude! So how are you going to climb it? Pray tell. 

1 + 3 = 0     Is that the math? 
Really really eager to know. Has some new technologies emerged, that this dinosaur (me) missed???? ICE Velcro? .... sticks to wet snow!!! 

The Tradiban only climbs on perfect virgin ice. This just won't do.

Competent Leader · · Western US · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
online nobodies bicker over Idyllwild ice

Meanwhile actual climbers out climbing idyllwild ice

Tonight at 6
x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 205
Tradiban wrote:

The Tradiban only climbs on perfect virgin ice. This just won't do.

Which states the obvious... Tradiban does not do ice... perfect virgin ice... sheeeesh!!!

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 588

Let’s see those ice climbing photos local BOYS!!!’ Bring it on!

Competent Leader · · Western US · Joined Jan 2019 · Points: 0
Jeffrey Constine wrote: Let’s see those ice climbing photos local BOYS!!!’ Bring it on!

And if you don't have any of Idyllwild, just post ice climbing from other areas to confuse things!

CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

How’s that pristine rock working out?

Get a little snow and not a single SoCal climber knows what to do.   

x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 205
CO Climber wrote: How’s that pristine rock working out?

Get a little snow and not a single SoCal climber knows what to do.  
You, my friend, are the epitome of dumbshitness... you're a walking oxyMoron...
CO Climber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Say it ain’t so braj?  Guess all you locals are thin skinned.  LOL. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Tahquitz Ice Climbing"