Mountain Project Logo

Where do you keep your phone?

Abdullah Mourad · · Elk Grove, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Millenials can't climb without interwebs and instagram who knew?

:P

Bruh, if you only knew how many likes my livestream of me TRing my 5.4 proj got. #livelovelaugh #thegreatoutdoors #2019 #neverstopexploring #goals #blessed

Ben Schuldt · · Bowling Green, KY · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 85
Abdullah Mourad wrote:

Bruh, if you only knew how many likes my livestream of me TRing my 5.4 proj got. #livelovelaugh #thegreatoutdoors #2019 #neverstopexploring #goals #blessed

Don't forget #NotAllWhoWanderAreLost

Another vote for phone in a pack or in the car. Paper topo. If I absolutely need to know the time I'll toss a small digital watch on my rear gearloop.
rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I use a pants hip pocket for hiking, but while climbing I think a chalk bag pocket is best, after replacing the usual chalk bag fastex buckle belt with a sturdier Metolius substitute.

HBTHREE · · ma · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 30

Sorry if this has already been covered in these 5 pages, but I keister my phone in a ziplock bag along with a sheave and my weed. It's waterproof and easy enough to get at belays or whatever for selfies and angry birds

rockklimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

In my thigh pocket attached to a custom otterbox leash which is connected to a purcell prusik leash clipped to my harness.  When I want to take a pic I entend the leash then shorten it when I put it back in my thigh pocket.  

Al Pine · · The 'yack, NY · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
 I keep it in here
rockklimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0
Al Pine wrote:
 I keep it in here

You actually carry that on your harness while climbing? 

Nodin deSaillan · · Boulder · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

I keep mine in a hand pocket when climbing rock. I have found that keeping it in a side pocket risks damage to the phone. When winter climbing, I keep in in the breast pocket of my R1. This keeps it warm and easily accessible. On a side note, my girlfriend has issues with finding pants that have decently-sized hand pockets. Most, even techy pants, have pitiful pockets for women. It is quite annoying.

Victor Anderson · · Grand Juncton CO · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
Being bored at work lead to this rough sketch of a design much like the PopSockets they sell. Allows you to clip your phone to your harness while you climb
Faafo . · · Woodson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

On bigger days out I usually keep it in my pocket next to my spaghetti. 

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh,NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Grandpa Dave wrote:

No, it's different than the "roaming" setting. With no service plan at all, you can still call 911 from any phone. 

One other thing to keep in mind is that any cell phone network, including private networks, must accept, prioritize, and route 911 calls. Even if AT&T, Verizon, etc. don't have cell towers in the area, there might be a private network for techs working on power lines, radio towers, etc. that your phone will connect to for 911.

Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
stolo wrote:

Lot of "summits" in NC have 4g LTE! 

Every time I climb a Nose area route at Looking Glass, I start getting emails near the end of the 2nd pitch. 

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5
Victor Anderson wrote:
Being bored at work lead to this rough sketch of a design much like the PopSockets they sell. Allows you to clip your phone to your harness while you climb

this is my own opinion, but based on what is shown, this seems horrible.  See, as an semi-older dude, unlike the millions of millenials with spider-webbed smart-phones dangling out of their ass-pocket, I value my screen on my swanky non-iPhone - and ain't no way I'm going to let it dangle from my harness like some testicle waiting to get smashed in some desperate OW move, only to hear it crunch!  You realllllly don't need a phone mid-pitch, stow it in your little multipitch backback and keep it safe.  

Now, build a fully enclosed case to protect it, with a solid biner attachment point, then go ahead and dingle your blackberrys,
Cobra Wrestlr · · Mary land · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 121

Is that gray dick i see?

Russell Bangert · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 52

I do different things depending on the day, I lead with a small pack pretty often so it usually goes in there, if not it goes in my cargo pockets depending if that's gonna be destructive to my phone based on the style of climbing, I also have a bd bag that has a zipper pocket on the back that I've used a ton.

Something I've been playing with and that I think I'm gonna do more often is carry a second empty chalkbag on my belt that closes up well filled with knick-nacks.

Also hi Yannick! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Where do you keep your phone?"