Mountain Project Logo

Discrepancy between the crag/route info on the iPhone vs Desktop

Original Post
Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,040

Looking on my laptop at Cloud 9 area on my laptop, shows that there are 15 routes in the area:

Cloud 9

Looking at the same crag on my iPhone, it shows only 12 routes.

Three missing routes are Overshadowed, Fight Test, and Spider Staircase. The routes have been added back in August/September  of this year, not like they were just added yesterday...
Is there some sort of route update that happens only every few months for the phone app, or something?
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,879

Data packs for the phone update once a week on the server side, but you might not have them set to auto-update on the phone.  Inside the app on the phone, go to "Manage Areas" and you can manually update an area.  Or you can remove the area and re-download it.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,040
Nick Wilder wrote: Data packs for the phone update once a week on the server side, but you might not have them set to auto-update on the phone.  Inside the app on the phone, go to "Manage Areas" and you can manually update an area.  Or you can remove the area and re-download it.

I do not have the area downloaded on my phone, in case this wasn't clear.  I was just looking on the mountain project route database without downloading the area first.

if I do a search for Fight Test by name on my phone, the route with this name in KY does not come up. if I do the same search on my laptop, it shows up.

Eric Internicola · · Westminster, CO · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

Lena,

The search functionality is handled separately from what data packs you have downloaded on your device.  I'll summarize here:

• The Search Index is a database that ships with the app (it indexes all of the climbs, independent of whether or not you have them downloaded on your device)
  • The only time this is updated is when we ship a new version of the app with an updated version of this database
The net result is that climbs that exist in the data packs may not be reflected in the search function on your device.  We know this isn't ideal and have been discussing alternative approaches for a better experience.  I am currently working on an update (and just verified that "Fight Test" in the Cloud 9 area, does in fact show in the search results of the upcoming release).

As a workaround, you could (on the website) add these climbs to your "To-do" list and then they should be easily available on your device via your To-do list.

We will have these updates out soon.  Thanks for your patience.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Discrepancy between the crag/route info on the…"