Mountain Project Logo

New to climbing, looking for suggestions (SLC)

Original Post
Eric B · · Millcreek, UT · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

So I'm looking for some help getting into this sport, I live in SLC and looking to get a gym membership (probably to Momentum), but don't have any friends or acquaintances who do it. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get up to the Millcreek Momentum and sign up (also sign up for the belay class they offer), I'm just looking for suggestions that will help me get into this, possibly find a partner/group to climb with, etc. I'm a pretty shy guy, very introverted and laid back, I'm not someone who just walks up to strangers and tries to work themselves into groups so any recommendations in that department would be super useful to me. I love getting outside though, do tons of hiking, MTB'ing, fly-fishing, avid skier for 25+ years, etc, just really hoping to get into climbing to expand my winter activities when I'm not skiing/hiking. 

Thanks for the tips, Mason, I'll give those a read and continue to update my stuff!

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405

Ask about the Partner Finder Board at Momentum when you sign up. Keep an eye out for partner finder nights and events on their social media.

Benny J · · Utah · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I am looking for more partners in my range. I climb indoor about 1x weekly in Ogden or SL and weekend warrior around when I can. Feel free to PM me and we can see about getting out . Cheers !

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll send you a PM once I get setup and going with my membership, Benny!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "New to climbing, looking for suggestions (SLC)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started