Mountain Project Logo

Pricey Petzl Drill Bits?

Original Post
Sam Skovgaard · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 87

When shopping for the popular Petzl ROPEC SDS hand drill, I see that Petzl also sells 10mm and 12mm drill bits.  They tend to cost around $55, roughly 8 times the cost of the nice Bosch or Hilti bits.  Is there something super magical about these bits?

Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 839

I don't know of any route developers that use the Petzl bits. I used the Petzl bit that came with my ROCPEC until it wore out and noticed no difference between it and subsequent Dewalt, Hilti or Bosch bits. Someone may chime in with a reason why the Petzl bits are more expensive but personally I do not know of anyone who uses them.

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161
Bobby Hutton wrote: I don't know of any route developers that use the Petzl bits. I used the Petzl bit that came with my ROCPEC until it wore out and noticed no difference between it and subsequent Dewalt, Hilti or Bosch bits. Someone may chime in with a reason why the Petzl bits are more expensive but personally I do not know of anyone who uses them.

+1

I have read tons of online discussion on this topic and have never seen anyone recommend them.
Cabot Steward · · Smog Lake City · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 7

I mean Hilti has bits that cost 40+ USD per bit.  I think their just higher quality but I have never noticed a difference.

Greg Kuchyt · · Richmond, VT · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 924
Sam Skovgaard wrote: When shopping for the popular Petzl ROPEC SDS hand drill, I see that Petzl also sells 10mm and 12mm drill bits.  They tend to cost around $55, roughly 8 times the cost of the nice Bosch or Hilti bits.  Is there something super magical about these bits?

Super magical, absolutely not. Higher quality, likely. Better than any quality German bit, unlikely.

http://team-tough.com/product/10mm-sds-drill-bit/ $8.25 for a 10mm bit domestically.

If you need 12mm for something, try asking Dave Quinn (at Team Tough) if he can acquire those for you on his next trip or via Jim.

Cheaper bits have lower quality brazing for the carbide and less complex cutting geometry at the tips. So likely drill time/peformance and durability of the carbide suffer in the cheaper bits (i.e. import ones you find on Amazon or Horrible Fright). The cheap ones work, but I've had 12mm bits that made it really hard to properly install a 12mm bolt on the second hole. That has never happened with any German bit I have used. Additionally, you may see some improved quality in hole geometry with more expensive bits as a result of more techy cutting geometry/profiles. That's getting into the weeds on technical details though.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Pricey Petzl Drill Bits?"