Mountain Project Logo

Looking to borrow Red Rock guide book for Thanksgiving from someone in Seattle

Original Post
Zachary K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 3,293

Does anyone have a Red Rock guide book they won't be using over Thanksgiving weekend? I'll be down there from Thursday to Tuesday, and it seems like a waste to buy a new book I'll only use for 5 days. I can pick up and drop off. The closer to Seattle the better.   

Anthony M · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey man, if you don't get any bites in a week or two let me know. I'm thinking of picking up a guidebook soon for a trip in December.

EB · · Winona · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,207

Or support those who put tons of time, money and effort to make our lives way easier.... just sayin'

EB wrote: Or support those who put tons of time, money and effort to make our lives way easier.... just sayin'

I buy books for my local crags. Bought three this year. 

Do you usually buy books for crags you only visit once every few years? 
slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

yes, i do. i have bought a ton of guide books for places that i have never visited, but hope to in the future.  i have also bought guidebooks for places that i honestly hope i never visit as well.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Zachary K wrote:

Hell yes.

Helps to keep the stoke alive.
Travis M · · Olympia, WA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

I've got an older version you can borrow, but I'm in Olympia. If you're interested in stopping by to get it I can dig it out.

EB · · Winona · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,207

Yes,I personally like to have guidebooks from every place I visit... I also like to support those who put a tone of time, money, and energy into creating them. I kind of relate it to trying on shoes at a retailer then going and buying them online....

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
Matt Desenberg wrote: It would be great if they had an online website where you could look up route information and such. 

And it was accurate and not plaguerized.  

seamus mcshane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 210

Just contact me when you are a couple of days out.
I would be happy to loan you mine.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,723

I buy guidebooks for as many places as possible. For me, it's not just about knowing the routes and their locations, but the history and ethics for the area and who developed the route and so on.

My favorite local guidebook is for Mount Erie. Every couple pages there is a story fron one of the area's pioneers. I can't get enough of that stuff!

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25
Eric Engberg wrote:

And it was accurate and not plaguerized.  

You can get the Plague from Mproj? Fuuuuck... I thought it was just the rodents at the beach that were plaguerized!

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
Zachary K wrote:

Another YES vote. I have guidebooks to places I have only visited once, and to places I have never visited, but considered.

And another way to look at it: You live in Seattle. You are probably flying to Red Rocks. Would you have not gone on this trip if the flight were $30 more? How much is your time worth? You are willing to pick up and drop off the book in Seattle. That is probably 1 hr time on each trip. Are you not making at least $15/hr?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Zachary K wrote:

Yes.
Anthony M · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Kyle Elliott wrote: I buy guidebooks for as many places as possible. For me, it's not just about knowing the routes and their locations, but the history and ethics for the area and who developed the route and so on.

My favorite local guidebook is for Mount Erie. Every couple pages there is a story fron one of the area's pioneers. I can't get enough of that stuff!

What guidebook/version is this? I have the Rakkup book which is useful, but I definitely prefer a physical guidebook. Just couldn't find one.

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

I also have a lot of guidebooks. Many of these guidebook authors I know or have at least met. There are worse things to do with my money. Also, I lend and borrow books from friends or the library frequently. But guidebooks get crammed in my pack next to bits of bloody tape, half eaten apples, and PB&Js in ziplocs of compromised structural integrity. They get rained on, chalked up, stepped on, dog eared, and written in. If I am faced with a backcountry GI emergency, with nary a leaf of lambs ear, handful of grass, or patch of snow to be found, the Petzl ad in the back of the book is definitely getting poopy before I sacrifice one of my Smartwool socks. I buy my guidebooks.

abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54

Going to plug the AAC library here. If you're a member they'll ship you whatever guidebook you want (assuming they have it) and you only have to pay return shipping (cheap, via media mail).

Not to mention that you can find books there that you can't buy any more; though the really rare ones are only for reference at the library in Boulder.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

The two main reasons for not buying a guidebook for somewhere you are going? You are too broke or too cheap. If you're too broke, you probably shouldn't be going on out of town trips. Need to have some reserve finances for emergencies/unexpected expenses.

If you're too cheap, well, you're living your own kind of misery. Miserly misery.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,723
Anthony M wrote:

What guidebook/version is this? I have the Rakkup book which is useful, but I definitely prefer a physical guidebook. Just couldn't find one.

They usually got the newest version available at the Erie Grocery at the bottom of the mountain. 

Briggs: Yes! I love Erie. definitely made over 200 hundred trips there, it's my "home crag". you can find my fixed lines, brushes, etc stashed away in quite a few spots
abandon moderation · · Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 54
FrankPS wrote: The two main reasons for not buying a guidebook for somewhere you are going? You are too broke or too cheap. If you're too broke, you probably shouldn't be going on out of town trips. Need to have some reserve finances for emergencies/unexpected expenses.

If you're too cheap, well, you're living your own kind of misery.

Bruh, when I roll into town in my Sprinter I have a shelf FULL of guidebooks (had to get a dually to support the weight of all the guidebooks) from all around the world and places I'll never climb. No one will question my street cred when I roll open the doors and all the books come tumbling out.

Historically this is the way it's always been. Climbers would never  take financial risk to go climbing. People like Fred Beckey were a myth pushed by the illuminati.
seamus mcshane wrote: Just contact me when you are a couple of days out.
I would be happy to loan you mine.

Thanks, Seamus. I'll let you know.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Looking to borrow Red Rock guide book for Thank…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started