Mountain Project Logo

Thoughts on this bolt?

Nol Huther · · Burlington, VT · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 1,652
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: @OP not sure what your point is
Trying to learn about bolts, but the snark is appreciated along with your knowledge

If you are civic minded you will replace them with quality SS hardware.

If not, its pointless internet wankage. :)
I'm interested in helping maintain fixed equipment at this crag since there isn't anyone else who will due to the location. The logistics of it I'll leave to next season at least, though. I was just more curious about the technical details, I've gone through lots of the ASCA info but was just looking for some identification help
Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

No worries.

The issue fundamentally is that you have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable clipping any fixed pro, and if not, ideally are motivated to replace it.

But we all have had to clip tons of mank over the years having nothing better at hand. Some bolts have failed that have looked perfectly fine on the outside. Others prove difficult to remove despite looking sketch af from the outside.

So many cry about some bad bolts but aren't willing to do anything to anything about it. The ideal is that one takes ownership for making sure the next guy has something better. Good on ya' for thinking about the future needs of this crag.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Thoughts on this bolt?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started