Mountain Project Logo

Cleaning bat and bird poop from holds

Original Post
Josh Cook · · Tivat · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 3,293

Any tips from you seasoned route developers? 

Warriors · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310

A stout wire brush, the kind that poke the crap out of you constantly while dangling from harness is a good start. Maybe a spray bottle to tamp down the shit dust and make cleaning easier or a dust mask.

https://www.mountainproject.com/route/111042185/shit-talk-aka-gameday

On this bad boy I probably pried out 50 or more pounds of guano with one of these....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Xtreme-Fubar-Functional-Utility-Bar-55-099/100488979?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-203710083-_-100488979-_-N

On big crappy jobs I'll don a mask and goggles. Histoplasmosis kind of freaks me out, and I sometimes put up literally shitty routes. Ossified guano can actually form holds IME, so there can be some artistic license with this shit. Get creative(?)

Don't forget the sani-wipes!

Thanks, Warrior.

Took your advice and got covered in wet bat and bird shit ... but the holds are clean! And the route "Bat Shit Crazy" is now ready to climb. 

Taylor Spiegelberg · · Lander & Sheridan, WY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1,501
Josh Cook wrote: Thanks, Warrior.

Took your advice and got covered in wet bat and bird shit ... but the holds are clean! And the route "Bat Shit Crazy" is now ready to climb. 

That cliff you're developing on looks very ugly and not fun to climb at at all.... Also, those rooms by the ocean look terrible too.... I'll take my bleak office over that any day

The routes are all covered in bat shit too. Terrible. Really hating looking out at a UNESCO World Heritage site all the time too.

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 4,017

A mask and goggles will be your friends.

Also, do you expect that these routes will be trafficked enough such that they just won't get covered in shit again?

Warriors · · Rock City, GA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 310
 And the route "Bat Shit Crazy" is now ready to climb. 

Send that thing! 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Cleaning bat and bird poop from holds"