Mountain Project Logo

What the GriGri is going on?


Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455
Ma Ja wrote:

Petzl deserves a GD Nobel Peace prize, or something equivalent, for saving the lives of countless numbers of climbers who would have decked if their group was using an ATC. They have earned the right to charge whatever they think they can get. If people stop buying them, they'll lower the price. 

Mere conjecture.

They earned the right? Drink less Kool-aid.
F loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 356

GriGri! Not the hero they deserved, but the hero they needed!

Ma Ja · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 1
Tradiban wrote:

Mere conjecture.

They earned the right? Drink less Kool-aid.

It's just the market. If they weren't worth it, every climbing group, at every crag around the world wouldn't have one. It's that simple. Plus, climbers don't buy anything at full price, so we're really talking 65ish and 95ish, not 99 and 149.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455
Ma Ja wrote:

It's just the market. If they weren't worth it, every climbing group, at every crag around the world wouldn't have one. It's that simple. Plus, climbers don't buy anything at full price, so we're really talking 65ish and 95ish, not 99 and 149.

Let the lemmings be lemmings?

Ma Ja · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 1
Tradiban wrote:

Let the lemmings be lemmings?

  You must be the unicorn. Special guy, we love you. Enjoy your ATCing at the sport crag. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,455
Ma Ja wrote:

  You must be the unicorn. Special guy, we love you. Enjoy your ATCing at the sport crag. 

I haven't used an ATC in a decade.

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,033
Tradiban wrote:

I haven't used an ATC in a decade.

Hip belays only! Or, if you’re feeling ultra-modern, one of them flashy munters.

Rael Dornfest · · Portland, OR · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

GriGriGri ;-)

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 587

I've never really understood what the big deal was or how a grigri is hard to use. If you keep your hand in the brake position and locked off while you lower and use the brake lever it is 90% the same as an atc. I think it is the people who don't learn on a non-locking device first and who try to exclusively use the braking mechanism to lower are the ones who get in trouble. It isn't the device, it's the training.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What the GriGri is going on?"

Log In to Reply