Mountain Project Logo

What the GriGri is going on?

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

First came the GriGri, then GriGri2, followed by the GriGri+. The evolution continues with this all new device called the...GriGri. Wait, what?

Climbin Symon · · Ventura, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Only problem with any of the GriGri’s is they’re not designed for clipping at your waist. 

Matt S. · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

You would have thought someone would have brought the whole naming issue up at some point in it's development.  That's prettying wild!

Blakevan · · Dallas, TX · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

I would have liked to have been in that product meeting and hear the arguments for naming it something that has already been used.

Note: he made an error in the video at about 1:05, the GriGri+ is compatible from 8.5-11 mm ropes. What he mentioned is for its optimal sizes when comparing it with the GriGri (updated), which also has the same optimal sizes. Both are 8.5-11 mm and optimized for 8.9-10.5 mm.

GriGri (1) = 225 g
GriGri2 = 170 g
GriGri (updated) = 175 g
GriGri+ = 200 g

A. Ginger, that stainless steel plate and to a lesser extent, the tr/lead switch, adds 25+ grams. Do you think it (GriGri updated) would last that much longer if it had the plate too?

NorCalNomad · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 120

Wonder how much they are charging for this one. 

Dakota from North Dakota · · Golden, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 1,077

Maybe it's low hanging fruit, but the ThriGri would have been a much better name. 

Rob the tricam · · Springdale, Utah · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

It's not a new product... it's just face lift of an existing  product

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Just a new version of the original so now there will be 3 types of them. No need to change the name of it when you are replacing GriGri 1 with a new version of GriGri 1.

Not like they rename cares when a new one comes out. Every year or so you get a new version of X car and it will be different on the GriGri 1.

Blakevan · · Dallas, TX · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

So if I'm a new climber and I decide I want a Grigri how in the world would I know the difference from the original Grigri and this updated version? Not to mention the Grigri + or Grigri 2.  

I get what you're saying and in the auto industry it's common to maintain the model name and just append the year to differentiate but this ain't no car and the models are years apart with two different variations released in between.  

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here and that's why it would have been a very interesting conversation or at least it would be at my office.  Have you ever argued with an engineer?  Wait I'm on MP so of course you have so you get what I mean.

adeadhead · · Baltimore, MD · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 45

This is just the same thing black diamond is doing with the C4s, there arent going to be 3 grigris, the grigri2 is being replaced with what is now just the grigri.

Also, grigri1 -> best grigri

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800
Blakevan wrote: So if I'm a new climber and I decide I want a Grigri how in the world would I know the difference from the original Grigri and this updated version? Not to mention the Grigri + or Grigri 2.  

I get what you're saying and in the auto industry it's common to maintain the model name and just append the year to differentiate but this ain't no car and the models are years apart with two different variations released in between.  

You probably don't know that there have been something like 15 versions of the Petzl Basic ascender. Products change over time; get used to it.

Travis Bieber · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 48

Plot twist, they make the new GriGri, bigger, heavier, bulkier, less functional, and charge twice as much. "GriGri Platinum" 

Lothian Buss · · Albany, NY · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 15

Jeez guys. Just call the newest one grigri 3.

Rob the tricam · · Springdale, Utah · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

You cant buy a new orginal style grigri in a store. It was replaced by the 2. Similarly, you will be unable to buy a grigri 2 in the old style after this one comes out. You will only be able to by this updated grigri and the plus

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

The problem is that they perfected it with the 2, but they can’t just keep selling the same thing because everyone wants the newest tech, so they just keep re-releasing it.  Plus, they last forever so no one has any real incentive to buy unless they can be tricked into upgrading.  Sort of like iPhones...

Jaren Watson · · Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 2,033
Ted Pinson wrote: The problem is that they perfected it with the 2, but they can’t just keep selling the same thing because everyone wants the newest tech, so they just keep re-releasing it.  Plus, they last forever so no one has any real incentive to buy unless they can be tricked into upgrading.  Sort of like iPhones...

Exactly right.

ThomasR · · marina del rey, ca · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

so are they definitely going to stop producing the grigri 2? or is that just implied?

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20
Ted Pinson wrote: The problem is that they perfected it with the 2
GriGri-New appears to have expanded rope diameter range. Petzl also claims that geometry is improved to provide better rope management.
Plus, they last forever so no one has any real incentive to buy unless they can be tricked into upgrading. 

People climbing at locations with soft sandstone claim to go through GG in a year. The aluminum plate can't take abrasion.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What the GriGri is going on?"