Mountain Project Logo

IMO most climbing sayings are DUMB!

Original Post
Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,269

In particular, "Send", "Crush" and last but certainly not least, "Shred".
. Mobes · · MDI · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865

"Rig" is played out. Unless you say it with a trucker hat on.

Cron · · Kittery, ME · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

“Dirt me”

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
Locker wrote:
In particular, "Send", "Crush" and last but certainly not least, "Shred".

"Shred" is regurgitated slang coming over from either surfing, skiing, skating or bmx. "Shred the gnar."

Was told today that "Lit" is now in play.

Another I personally can't stand = "Clutch", as in "It's clutch".

LOL!
Rokjox Teleski · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

I remember once upon a time I postulated that the language was a reflection of the internal realities of the sport.

I.E. ...the delusional inconsistancies and nonlinear expression of ratings and the subjective irrationalities of the personal experience of physical engagement were actually discriptive at the limits of the skillset  of the major participants.

...its the sport thats dumb, everything else makes perfect sense.

Hi Locker, still alive?

Crag Hag · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 15
Locker wrote:
Was told today that "Lit" is now in play.

They didn't add "AF"? Frickin' posers.

Crag Hag · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 15

Whenever someone tells me to "senddddd ittttt",  I typically respond with "Oh, I will BRO. I'm super PUMPED!!! Stick around and watch me sendddd ittttt!!!" and then proceed to purposely flail around and struggle, eventually yelling at them to go away because I'm ashamed. If I'm feeling extra saucy, I'll try to get the water works rollin'.

.....always a good time with me, I'd say.

"and then proceed to purposely flail around and struggle"

LOL!

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 275

Proj and "my tribe" give me waves of nausea.

"Proj and "my tribe" give me waves of nausea"

Yep! I agree...

Another I absolutely cannot stand takes place almost daily over on ST. Calling the forum and it's members, "The campfire". Example = "We're all here together, at the campfire".

Uh... No! We're fucking NOT!

LMAO!

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 275
Locker wrote: "Proj and "my tribe" give me waves of nausea"

Yep! I agree...

Another I absolutely cannot stand takes place almost daily over on ST. Calling the forum and it's members, "The campfire". Example = "We're all here together, at the campfire".

Uh... No! We're fucking NOT!

LMAO!

Yep, if people talked like they do on the inter webs to people sitting around the campfire it would be an all out brawl.  I have been a member on Supertopo for ever but lately have been getting pretty tired of it.  It has the best trip report but climbing content is few and far between.

. Mobes · · MDI · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

Yep, if people talked like they do on the inter webs to people sitting around the campfire it would be an all out brawl.  I have been a member on Supertopo for ever but lately have been getting pretty tired of it.  It has the best trip report but climbing content is few and far between.

Most folks know what fire to hang out with. Just saying...

Josh Cameron · · M.O.A.B. · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120

Had to laugh when the CEO of Black Diamond called himself a dirtbag in an op-ed he wrote in the Salt Lake Tribune. I believe "CEO" and "dirtbag" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
And speaking of dirtbags, I wouldn't mind seeing that term disappear. By definition, if you call yourself a dirtbag then you're not a dirtbag. Get it? Got it? Good.

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39
Josh Cameron wrote: Had to laugh when the CEO of Black Diamond called himself a dirtbag in an op-ed he wrote in the Salt Lake Tribune. I believe "CEO" and "dirtbag" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
And speaking of dirtbags, I wouldn't mind seeing that term disappear. By definition, if you call yourself a dirtbag then you're not a dirtbag. Get it? Got it? Good.

Maybe he meant he's a dirtbag in the non-climbing sense of the word? 

Josh Cameron · · M.O.A.B. · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120
Nate Doyle wrote:

Maybe he meant he's a ditbag in the non-climbing sense of the word? 

If he's a CEO he most likely is!   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "IMO most climbing sayings are DUMB!"