Mountain Project Logo

Fixe Hely Bolt

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 523
Jim Titt wrote:

You are confusing rebuttals of wildly innacurate claims by disciples of the "everything should be bolted with titanium" religion with commenting on specific manufacturers bolts with the aim of reducing their market share. Martin Robert´s bolts are the best titanium resin bolt available on the market

You know I'm just poking fun, right?

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9
Taylor Spiegelberg wrote:

I definitely agree with your qualms about the Hely bolt. I don't understand why Fixe would produce a product like this when it's more expensive than perfectly suitable products already on the market.

Likely because they are offering a glue-in anchor product with improved corrosion resistant material (Duplex 2304) that compliments their (Duplex 2304) expansion anchor products.

Noting also that Petzl only offer a mechanical wedge bolt in a material other than 316 stainless (926/904L combo).

Nick M · · Driggs, ID · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 115

Was just researching Hely's and came upon this thread. Hely's take a 3/8" or 10mm hole. Every other glue-in I've heard of needs bigger. This seems worth noting...

Nick M wrote: Was just researching Hely's and came upon this thread. Hely's take a 3/8" or 10mm hole. Every other glue-in I've heard of needs bigger. This seems worth noting...

so what you're saying is that it's the only practical glue-in option for places where power drills aren't allowed?

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
Nick M wrote: Was just researching Hely's and came upon this thread. Hely's take a 3/8" or 10mm hole. Every other glue-in I've heard of needs bigger. This seems worth noting...

I (Bolt Products) make an 8mm resin bolt to be installed in a 3/8" hole.

m Mobes · · MDI, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 905

Who makes the best 3/8" glue -in I wonder.

Ed Henicle · · Santa Rosa, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,360

There are 2 glue-ins that take 3/8 hole? Bolt Products and Hely? others?

Ed Henicle wrote: There are 2 glue-ins that take 3/8 hole? Bolt Products and Hely? others?

Raumer Antrax 8mm x 80mm

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 612
eli poss wrote:

so what you're saying is that it's the only practical glue-in option for places where power drills aren't allowed?

It's a clear advantage even for places where power drills are allowed.    

A 10mm (3/8") hole takes about half as much power to drill than a 14mm (9/16") hole.    If you need to drill 30-something holes a nasty hour's hike from the car, adding yet another battery pack (or two) to your 70lbs pack is brutal... but not as brutal as running out of power 1 or 2 bolts before finishing.

In addition to smaller hole to drill, what other benefits are there to using a 3/8" glue in?

Also, what are some of the disadvantages of using a 3/8" glue in, as opposed to the more common 1/2 or larger? Off the top of my head, I'm guessing that 3/8" is going to have more pressure and therefore rock deterioration in very soft rock types. As Jim has repeatedly made very clear, the smaller diameter doesn't really matter in terms of strength because it's already still far stronger than we need it to be. What else?

eli poss wrote: In addition to smaller hole to drill, what other benefits are there to using a 3/8" glue in?

Also, what are some of the disadvantages of using a 3/8" glue in, as opposed to the more common 1/2 or larger? Off the top of my head, I'm guessing that 3/8" is going to have more pressure and therefore rock deterioration in very soft rock types. As Jim has repeatedly made very clear, the smaller diameter doesn't really matter in terms of strength because it's already still far stronger than we need it to be. What else?

You reduce the bond area between the resin and the rock making good glueing more and more important.

Francis Haden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 9

Given the manufacturing method for Hely glue-in anchors it's surprising they did n't (apparently) consider an inference fit for inverse hole retention. They certainly won't stay inverted without duct tape!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Fixed Hardware: Bolts & Anchors
Post a Reply to "Fixe Hely Bolt"