Mountain Project Logo

PNW ice/mixed/alpine 2019

Alec Entress · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

@Paul, this is probably pretty late, but I was up there Sat, and there was basically no skiing above the Palmer lift, and all the standard summit routes were in pretty bad shape.

That said, DKH (v2) was in excellent shape. Also, if anyone does make it up to the gates and wants to retrieve some screws that got left there I would happily repay you with a sixer or two or three...

Jacob Wilson · · Moscow, ID · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Howdy, everyone!

This is probably a long shot, but what the hell. I decided to head out to Hyalite Canyon from the Dec 26th through the 30th. Anyone interested in road tripping/meeting up to climb some ice?

I can lead moderate ice (WI3) and would be happy to show someone the ropes, but also comfortable following the harder stuff if anyone wants to get after it. I posted earlier, it includes all my bonafides and info.

Feel free to message me on MP or text/call 630-779-3692 if you want to climb. Happy holidays!

Spencer Daigle · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Any of you Portland folks know if there is an acceptable place to drytool in or near the metro area?

Ari L · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 0

Hi everyone - I’m in the PNW until Jan 3 (currently PDX). Would love to get into the mountains or on some ice while up here but also down to ski tour ans climb. Have led up to WI3 can follow harder but most of my ice experience is on alpine routes. Looking to get out in the mountains Christmas Day as the forecast is for sun in the afternoon. Could also be interested in a quick trip to Bozeman if conditions there are best.

Natasja Ysambart · · Bellevue, wa · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

I'm looking to go ice climbing just about anywhere - anticipate driving to ice jan 3rd in the afternoon and climbing ice on the 4&5th then drive back on the 6th. I can follow up to WI3, maybe some 4 but I am still new to this activity having done the beginner and intermediate ice courses last winter with some practice on the ice wall in canada. Let me know if you're interested! natasjay@gmail.com
~Natasja

Jeremy Lehman · · Seattle, WA · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 0

Hello everyone - I’m based out of Seattle and love to get out any chance I can get. I am still pretty new and did some lighter mountaineering this summer (Mt. Adams 2x as well as some smaller stuff like Ellinor during the early season). I have ice ax, crampons, harness, and all the requisite clothing. Also have a 4 season tent if that is applicable. I’m mostly just stoked to get into the mountains and start accumulating so I’m up for anything as long as you are willing to teach me! I love to learn

richard rakus · · huntsville, texas · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Getting back into mountaineering and am heading to baker in April if you are interested. Will be there for 7 days on the mountain. Going to be in the glacier fields and then going higher up and to the summit. Let me know. rakus

Raven Cashen · · Hansville, WA · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Hey! I'm WFR / AIARE certified looking for ice and mixed climbing partners/mentors on weekends.

I'm following up to WI4 / WI 5-.

Looking to climb North Ridge of Baker, in particular, and get out on mixed climbs or dry tooling, as well! Curious if anyone is hitting up Aplental 1 and Exit 38 dry tooling park?

HMU here or on FB - Thanks!

Raven

Adrien Costa · · Bend, OR · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 40

Hi all-
I was looking at making a trip down to Ouray (from Bend) sometime in the next couple months for some ice/ mixed cragging, to cut our teeth in and prepare for some bigger objectives in the Cascades.
Would anybody be interested in such a trip?
Also, does anybody know of any equivalent, or anywhere close to that, alternatives in the PNW, somewhere to get a lot of reps in without big cross country approaches?
Thanks!
Adrien

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Adrien Costa wrote: Hi all-
I was looking at making a trip down to Ouray (from Bend) sometime in the next couple months for some ice/ mixed cragging, to cut our teeth in and prepare for some bigger objectives in the Cascades.
Would anybody be interested in such a trip?
Also, does anybody know of any equivalent, or anywhere close to that, alternatives in the PNW, somewhere to get a lot of reps in without big cross country approaches?
Thanks!
Adrien

Adrien, hyalite is your PNW version of Ouray. Pm me. I have several friends trying to get over there from now til end of season

Caleb Mallory · · Seattle, Wa · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 425

Hey everyone,

Posting to see if there is anyone that is in need of a weekday partner for winter adventures. As a guide my weekends are usually full yet that is when folks are most often free. With that being said, I am somewhat new to the PNW and am always looking to get out when I'm not working.

As customary I'll provide some basic profiling information on myself: 23 yo, Male, Married (soon to be dad, yikes!)

Climbing related: WFR and AIARE certs, AMGA certs and guide course completions. I've got a pretty decent "winter rack" to get out on anything here in the PNW,  including winter camping gear. No snow machine, but my Jeep can sometimes get you in a little bit farther. Climbing ice is my main goal this winter, which I'm anticipating will require a drive up to BC or Montana (unless things finally cool down here)...down to make the trip (Duffey Lake up near Lillooet is awesome!). I'm comfortable leading up to WI4/M4 and down to follow anything harder. Down for bigger objectives as well! 

Feel free to PM here on MP or on FB (I'm a member of most climbing groups in the area), or call/text 9542572472

Stoked!

Caleb

max huecksteadt · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 75

Hey there,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but looking for a ride to Bozeman from Portland (flexible) either this week or next. Hoping to get some ice in before work in February.

I have weekend partners and accommodation set up out there, but am lending my car to my girlfriend currently so I can't drive myself. I will (obviously) split gas and driving duties. If you need a midweek partner out there, I am confident leading WI3, maybe WI4, and following WI5. Also interested in mixed, pretty limited experience there though. If you already have a partner lined up, that works too. Being a safe climber is a priority for me, I have a WFR, and am happy to offer up my screw rack and 70m dry rope too. Send me a PM and lets talk!

Thanks,

Max 

Clark Hollenberg · · Gunnison, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 105

Wow, great to see so many winter climbers in the PNW!  I'll try contacting some of you directly, but thought I'd post my info here as well.

I'm Portland based and free on weekends generally.  I've got the gear and experience.  Would be into doing some harder ice routes on Hood, or making a drive up into Washington for the right climb.  Also looking to just connect with good people in the Portland climbing/mountain community!

Clark

Ryan Dubberly · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 76

Awesome thread. I would be interested in some winter climbs as well. I've only climbed Adam's glacier ai3 and some ice cragging. Lane and chair are on my short list.

WEMT and Avy 2. Been through the mountaineers intermediate program. I'm also hoping to do some mild ski mountaineering in the spring. 

Braden Downey · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 105

Seeking partners who can share the sharp end on relatively big, technical routes in the greater ranges, Pac NW, and Canadian Rockies. I'm not opposed to climbing in a 3-person team.

Skills, attributes:
- Value receptive and direct communication with my partners regarding risk tolerance, assessment, and mitigation.
- Lead WI6, M6, 5.11, on-sight, in the alpine. C3+/A3 on granite and mudstone.
- I'm generally 'down to business' while climbing, but try to 'keep it light'.
- I confess I'm not the strongest trail breaker, but good endurance if I keep a mellow pace.

A few personal climbing highlights:
- First ascent of Wild Game on Buck Mountain
- Freed the Bibler-Klewin route to (only to the top of the Buttress) on the N Buttress of Hunter.
- Second ascent of the Polish Route on Colfax.  
- W Butt on Denali

Availability:
- Can usually get out for one or two 3-day weekends per month.
- Longer trips possible for worthy objectives with familiar partners, including expeditions.

Short-term objectives:
- Index/Squamish/rap wall cragging
- Winter/spring mixed climbing in the Cascades
- "5.9 A2" in the rockies with familiar partners

Occupations:
- currently trying to get into PTA school
- carpenter/laborer
- formerly a certified rock guide

Contact info:
- message me for email and phone, please.

Thanks for looking.

-Braden

Harvest Mondello · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 108

Hi, thanks for starting this thread.

Weekday Climbing Partner: I’m looking for regular weekday climbing partners for winter alpine routes within a three hour drive of Portland; as far North as Mount Rainier, as far East as Smith Rock and as far South as Southern Oregon. Mount Hood is my playground. Weekdays only as I work every weekend but I'm generally available 2-3 consecutive days per week.

About me: Climbing is my passion. I climb alpine style - fast and light but not stupid light (ie I carry pro & safety equipment). I'm safety oriented, I move fast on moderate exposed terrain, I have high endurance and I’m highly proficient on moderately technical terrain. I have an ice and rock rack and can pull you out of a crevasse.

About you: I’d prefer someone with complimentary skills to mine, someone more proficient than me on ice or rock and less proficient on the other. Having a similar to pace to mine is important - I’m looking for someone that averages 6 hours from Timberline to the summit of Mount Hood in full winter conditions. If you don't meet those requirements but have something to offer in a climbing partnership likely I'm still down to just climb.

Objectives: This winter I’m looking to climb several moderate C2C West and North routes on Mount Hood. When it’s stormy in the Cascades I’m down for craging at Smith Rock. I'm also interested in some winter routes on Mount Rainier but we'd need to build some rapport prior a roping up. Message me if you’re interested and think we're a good fit. Checkout my MP profile before responding please. Also, FYI I don't have AT skis so this limits the type of route and travel.

Cheers,
Harvest

Cheers,
Harvest (541)556-2978

PS please add me to the master list above. Thanks!

Kiira Antenucci · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

Hey! I want to get after it! I am based in Tacoma and have mountaineering, ice, rock, and backcountry experience. I have ice tools, 8 ice screws, and a 70 m dry single. I am looking to go out with people with a lot of experience so i can see diffrent systems and get better! I am available most weekends and Thursdays!
-Kiira

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all. I'm thinking of heading over to hyalite for Monday-Wednesday. Probably drive over and set camp up Monday, climb Tuesday and Wednesday, head back either Wednesday night or Thursday early morning. There's potential to stay the night in a vacation cabin my family has 1 hr south for Monday night only. I'm located in Coeur d'alene, Idaho and can either drive all way if you meet me here coming from west, or we can arrange a deal. Trying to lead some WI3 and get mileage on laps but also down for whatever your goals are. Please txt me at 3602247541 if you wanna make something work

Open to banks lake ice as well

James Cho · · Bellevue, WA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 6

I've climbed with some of you, but always looking for more partners. Weekend warrior into ice/alpine. Based in Bellevue. Also open to ski touring. Planning a ski ascent of Rainier in April, and overall looking to get more mileage on ice anywhere. Follow AI/WI3ish.  I have all gear and train regularly.

Matthew Tangeman · · Bellingham, WA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 200

This may be a long shot, but here goes.

I'm very green to ice, mostly just looking easy and moderate mileage and to follow a lot of pitches. Had some potential plans for this Sunday that have fallen though, but I'm free this Sunday and Monday if anyone is interested.

I have all my own gear, live in Bellingham and happy to drive. Was thinking something up the Fraser, around Hope, but open to ideas. If anyone wouldn't mind a beginner tagging along, I would be very appreciative. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest Partners
Post a Reply to "PNW ice/mixed/alpine 2019"