Mountain Project Logo

Windy Peak approach drive road condition

Original Post
Fan Zhang · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,704

What is the recent condition of the dirt road on the approach drive to Windy Peak? (I'm looking to do some routes on the South Face of Windy Peak in a few weeks.) The Handren guidebook says the road is fairly rough and can get washed out after heavy rains. Are the rocks/holes avoidable with care, or would the drive tear up the undercarriage of a sedan that's got only 5.5" of ground clearance? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55

The "direct" road approach described in the book is always sketchy. There is another route that doesn't involve crossing so many deep washes but does involve leaving the highway a little past the normal exit. You'll have to look for an aerial view to verify this. I've driven the road and could find it again, but regrettably can't describe it for you.

Also, if you're going up there in "a few weeks" (November), pick a calm day. That south face can be frigid even in full sun. They don't call it Windy Peak for nothing.

Thanks very much, Paul. I believe this is the approach recommended by the Handren guidebook.  https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.0003327,-115.4455302/36.0127371,-115.4542029/@35.9995915,-115.4534984,2997m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
This route drops into the wash near the start, which suggests it could be sketchy for a vehicle with low ground clearance.

Alternatively, is this the direct approach you were thinking of? The guidebook says there's a few rough spots on this route. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/36.0078487,-115.4368333/36.0127371,-115.4542029/@36.0071861,-115.4494399,1700m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

If neither approach road is drivable with a low clearance car, I suppose we could always add 25-30 min to the approach hike and start from the side of Rt 160, right?

Good advice about picking a day with calms winds ... or if windy, maybe at least winds out of the north instead of south?

Rprops · · Nevada · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 2,422

You drive a mile past Late Night parking lot, turn right into the dirt road. The wash is usually good enough for a car, but a little soft.  It's also usually not committing so you can back out/turn around if it gets hairy.  Keep an eye out for the hairpin turn out of the wash on to the packed dirt road.  This is typically solid,but rocky.  Go slow.

Thanks, Rprops. Would you say that if I can make it through the wash, past the hairpin turn, and out onto the packed dirt, then the rest of drive north shouldn't be any worse?

John Wilder wrote:

Yeah, the softest part of that approach is the wash. The road is fine once you get on it.

Thanks very much, John!

pooch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 200

We made that same approach last fall in a tiny Kia rental car a couple times without any damage. Had to clear a few large rocks near the hairpin, but once we did that I believe it only took ~25mins to drive. Enjoy

pooch wrote: We made that same approach last fall in a tiny Kia rental car a couple times without any damage. Had to clear a few large rocks near the hairpin, but once we did that I believe it only took ~25mins to drive. Enjoy

Thanks, good to know!

Valerie A B · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 37

Hello all. Looking for an updated road condition report for Windy Peak. Also wondering if the current construction on 160 is creating any problems accessing the road. Thanks!

Sam R · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 15

Yeah the most direct way from the turn off for black velvet is pretty heinous as of December 2019. There were big potholed area that lifted our rental hyundai suv 4 feet up. The approach from the south side, where the construction is, is way better but the construction area is a weird gray area of whether you should be cutting through it or not. We climbed on a Sunday and there was no work being done. The concrete jersey barriers have a break in them a bit north of the start of the south side approach.

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 55

Was out at Disappearing Buttress yesterday. The first approach road to Windy Peak, the one that passes below the hill where the shooters gather, has a deep wash that will be impassable to any but a high-clearance vehicle. You might make it in with a 2WD truck (I did, a couple of years ago) but you might not get out again (I didn't even try, a couple of years ago). It goes easily enough if you have a 4X4. Otherwise, you're better off parking before the wash and resigning yourself to a longer walk.

The other end of the loop, where you turn off the highway and soon follow a gravelly wash and then turn right to head towards the Illusion Crags parking, is in much better condition, but gets increasingly rocky as you get closer to the Windy Peak parking. Possible, but unpleasant.

If you go back out to the highway by reversing your approach through the gravelly wash, you won't be able to turn left to access the lanes heading back to Las Vegas. However, you can turn hard left and drive downhill on the north side of the highway, using the newly-paved but still closed lane. When you get down to the point where the traffic lane restrictions begin there is a sufficient gap in the barriers for you to enter the highway in either direction.

Adam Forestier · · Big Pine · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 40

Used the approach from the South Side as indicated by Sam R a month ago while driving a Mitsubishi Outlander. Not too bad, some large rocks; just make sure to take your time. Worst case scenario, if you feel uncomfortable with the terrain, there are some pull-offs further up the road you can stop at and just hike in a little further. Since we were driving a rental and wanted to be gentle we utilized one of these and just hiked in an extra half mile or so. Have fun!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Windy Peak approach drive road condition"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started