Mountain Project Logo

2018-2019 Utah ice conditions!!!!!

luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 50

It's been a bit warm all over.  Scruffy band was not looking good on Tuesday, unlikely that it froze up any more since then.  It's been hanging out in character building form for a week or two if WI3 is your lead limit.  

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 495

Scruffy still looks nonexistent in the middle.  

Jim Clarke · · Cottonwood Heights, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 76

Anyone taken a crack at Miller's or Finger of Fate lower pitches recently? Driving by they looked "climbable"...subjective of course...

Jake Rehm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 30

Hows Provo canyon right now?

Mtn Ape XL · · Utah · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 125

Climbed 1st and 2nd Pitches of Stairway today...hero ice as far as sticks go but screws prob wouldn't have held anything...higher up you went the more sun-baked the ice was...lots of running water...pillar on 2nd was 2 feet or less in diameter at it's base and you could look through the base into the cave behind...3rd pitch looked totally sun-baked except for a narrow strip that looked OK over in the middle...has been really warm during the day...still lots of good ice to be had...arrive really early tomorrow to get a good seat...did not check conditions in BVF Area

Caz Drach · · C'Wood, UT · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 310

Anyone do GWI at all in the last day or so? thinking of hitting it up in the morning...

Robert Lindsen · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Climbed GWI this morning.  The whole thing is in pretty great condition, and not too chopped out either. 

Jake Rehm · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 30

Climbed the GWI yesterday. The center of pitch three is a little soft but other than that the climb is in strong. 

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,187

Just a comment regarding the GWI. At this point the usual line is a staircase. It has gone through some significant freeze thaw this past week. If you want something slightly different the pillar on the right side of the last pitch has formed nicely and is in good nick (i.e. not yet a staircase).

Alec LaLonde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 491

Snow conditions are superb to get up to the Upper Falls flows (Frigid Perculator / Automatic Drips) in Provo Canyon, looked like an avalanche came down last weekend.  What could be endless postholing is firm snow and fun low-angle ice! Get it!  

NathanC · · Logan, UT · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

Last Chance falls on 1/12

Mulch · · New Jersey · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 131

Attempted Miller's Thriler earlier today. I wouldn't recommend, the first pitch is facked. The fang first two pitches are in.

Climbed in Maple on Saturday...First pitch of The Dagger was in...Running Man is in...Yellow Rapture, Skidders and Tennis Shoe Slab 1-3" thick...nothing else in Box is in and we didn't go past Running Man to check anything else in upper areas.

Michael S. Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

I was down there Sunday and there is lots of very thin lines, surprising given the amount of snow and temps. Under Wraps was the only route I found that was complete and took full screws. Absent a heat waive it should improve by the end of the month I would think.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "2018-2019 Utah ice conditions!!!!!"