Mountain Project Logo

My top ten climbing instruction books


Original Post
Northeast Alpine Start · · Conway, New Hampshire · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 122

Rainy day in the Northeast has me going through my library again looking for something new to read. Here's a list of my top ten climbing instruction books I compiled last year.

https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/05/22/top-ten-climbing-instruction-books/


Any climbing books you'd recommend for a beginner (or expert) that I missed?
Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I really enjoyed David Coley's Multipitch climbing website. i like that is has a lot of info that is distinct from our american style of climbing as i learned it.

Justin Veenhuis · · Ferndale, MI · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 101
Mason Stone wrote: Mountain project forums, just kidding, no seriously, someone should collect the information here and write a book.

It would mostly be shit talking and "Yer Gonna Die!"

Ron O · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

One Man's Mountains and Downward Bound are all you need.

Sam Deshler · · Southern California · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 12

Nice collection.  A couple of my favorites are Better Bouldering by John Sherman and Training for Climbing by Eric Horst.

Jon Frisby · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 120

the Self Coached Climber

Chris Little · · Albuquerque N.M. · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0

Basic Rock Craft. Royal Robbins. Advanced Rock Craft. Royal Robbins. Ropes, Knots, and Slings. Walt Wheelock. (?) Downward Bound. Warren Harding. Yvon Chouinard wrote a great intro to mountaineering, but I forget what it was called.

Adam J. Clark · · Mill Creek, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 110

Missing some Andy K something fierce, IMHO.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

feeding the rat. Moe Antione and one of the best that I have encountered recently is Andrew Lindblades Expeditions.  The White Spider was my first climbing book..

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 1,509
Ron O wrote: One Man's Mountains and Downward Bound are all you need.


Carlos Castaneda, His first three books,  The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge.                                           A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan.  &
Journey To Ixtlan , where the author retracts his full faith in the use of "plant based aids" in search of truth & vision . . .

If nothing else, they are sleep aids
Mobes Mobesely · · MDI · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
Suburban Roadside wrote:


Carlos Castaneda, His first three books,  The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge.                                           A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan.  &
Journey To Ixtlan , where the author retracts his full faith in the use of "plant based aids" in search of truth & vision . . .

If nothing else, they are sleep aids

The Teachings of Don Juan = fly baby fly! I wonder if Don Juan ever tried climbing and mushrooms

mike again · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 40

Rock Warrior's Way, Arno Ilgner

Speed Climbing Hans Florine and Bill Wright is outstanding for advanced climbers even if you don't speed climb per se. 

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 502
Chris Blatchley wrote: I really enjoyed David Coley's Multipitch climbing website. i like that is has a lot of info that is distinct from our american style of climbing as i learned it.

+1. 

This has been hands-down the single most valuable resources I've ever come across for climbing info. 
Jack Servedio · · Raleigh,NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Mason Stone wrote: Mountain project forums, just kidding, no seriously, someone should collect the information here and write a book.

You could do a just anchors book with all of the "look at my new and improved anchor" posts from accounts that show up and disappear a month later. It'd be damn close to 1,000 pages long.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110
This is as solid a book as you can find.  Very well presented ideas
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "My top ten climbing instruction books"

Log In to Reply