Mountain Project Logo

Edelrid swift pro dry 8.9 in the gym?

Original Post
Austin Torman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

I recently bought this rope for sport climbing but want to use it in the gym as well. Is it safe/would anyone recommend climbing with this rope in the gym?

JPB . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I’m not sure but probably YGD.

Seriously though, it’s a climbing rope. Use it however you want. Just keep an eye on it’s condition as it gets older. 1/10

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

That rope should work perfectly fine, but... If I were climbing at a gym on my own rope regularly, I would look for other folks in the gym who might be interested in sharing cost of a less performance oriented rope around 9.8mm thick. Chopping that 60-70m rope in half would give you a short gym rope for cheap. And, shorter ropes are somewhat more convenient indoors, than the full blown 60-70m rope. Why less performance oriented? - dry coatings are not required for climbing indoors. Falls tend to be shorter in a gym, but more numerous, a rope designed for abuse and not lightness might work better.

Eugenel Espiritu · · PA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 942

Sounds like a waste of money. My swift lasted only half a season with regular trad use. Would save it for a project outside or trad only. Gym ropes are cheap.

If you have a AAC membership, you could get the trango gym cut for $50. trango.com/p-310-gym-cuts-9…

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Just pointless to buy a dry rope and use it in the gym (unless your gym leaks?).

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

From a safety perspective, keep in mind that gym lines are straight and the friction is low, so you’ll probably want to use a grigri if you’re not already.

Since gyms use steel draws and there’s no dirt or sharp edges, the rope will likely last longer than it would outside.

All that said, bd sells a 40m 9.9 for like $70...

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

A few of my friends us 40m Tendon 8.6 as their gym rope. They are holding up really well. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Edelrid swift pro dry 8.9 in the gym?"