Mountain Project Logo

Double ropes in cochise

Original Post
Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

My ladyfriend/ climbing partner are heading to Cochise in a few weeks. We do a lot of climbing with double ropes and enjoy it, but for versatilty and simplicity, etc, etc, i'm thinking of just bringing a single 70. Would we be screwing ourselves over and missing out on some stellar climbs by not having half ropes?

Thanks,
Ira

NRobl · · Hyrum, UT · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 1

On the Sheepshead, you can just walk off from the top, so a 70 works great, but if you have to bail on anything you'll want the doubles as the pitches are too long to rap on a 70. A 70 should be fine for the single pitch sport climbs in the area also.  

wwwcochiseclimbing com · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 140

I never climb with doubles in the Stronghold. ALMOST all of the raps, and some don't rap the route, are set up for a single 70. The Sheepshead is a walk off and with the number of chickenheads on the face it would be an arduous endeavor. Trying to connect anchors from other routes or doing short raps with leaving gear would be the only way to rap the face without getting a rope stuck. You will be fine with a 70m

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 130

Never climbed on anything but a single 60 or 70 in Cochise and never had any issues. If it requires a rap we have always just brought along a tag if a single 70 wont work. 

Ira OMC · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 273

Thank you folks! Thats what I was hoping to hear. My doubles are about ready to retire and I can't afford another set right now. Hope to see you soon.

Dj telle · · Mexico City , Tucson, AZ · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 1,874

if you are new to the area and plan to do some adventuring, id suggest the second rope or at least a 6mm tag line. Sheepshead is pretty much the easiest place to not epic.

Geir www.ToofastTopos.com · · Tucson/DMR · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 2,751

I suggest a second rope on multipitch routes that you are not familiar with.  While many descents are set up for a single 70, having a second rope will be quite handy if things don't go as planned.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

Certainly not for everyone but ...
I carried an 80 9.6 around Cochise and it was perfect for running pitches together, when the pitches allowed. Never carried a 2nd rope to get off of anything, take a long tag, get down faster.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Double ropes in cochise "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started