Mountain Project Logo

Terrible fall on Serenity crack 9/25

Original Post
SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

A few of us witnessed the long fall with injuries on Serenity the morning of 9/25. Was hoping to find out how Bill was doing. Hoping he is ok. If YOSAR is reading I’d be happy to share CQI.  Be safe out there.  

Sam M · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

What happened? Deck?

Approx 40’ hitting the tree off to climbers left. No rope until 15’ after contacting tree trunk.  

Max R · · Bend · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 292

Holy shit, so he must have whipped off the top of the p3 crux and hit the P2 belay tree?

Free fell off the edge. The tree is up and left around the corner of the belay. He was alert enough to wonder how he ripped so many pieces.  The gear there is good. His partner and another were at the belay above where he came to rest. My partner and I were just below on the ledge at the start of pitch two of super slide.  About 40ft away. Hoping he just had bruised back/ribs but he landed square on his back when he hit the base of that 12” diameter tree from the top of the pitch.

patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25

Best wishes to the climber involved.

That climb must take whippers every day in peak season.  The gear is fine.  Extra points for totems for handling the flares but ripping a whole line of gear seems odd.  (Last time I did than my partner took a nasty looking whipper on a green Totem on the first pitch.  He was the stronger climber but palmed off the leading duties to me for that pitch.)

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Terrible fall on Serenity crack 9/25"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started