Mountain Project Logo

Tethers for Ascending

Original Post
Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161

I am in the process of moving away from adjustable tethers in an effort to simplify leading. I was planning on using slings as attachment points for jugging, but this doesn't allow easy length adjustment for jugging. I am considering using a standard (non adjustable) daisy on my top ascender to allow adjustment by clipping into a pocket.

I am wondering what people are using to attach themselves to their jugs when they don't use daisys/tethers for leading (instead using an adjustable fifi). Any input is appreciated, my goal is to have minimal cluster/complexity.

Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 420

That’s sort of a hard one.
I use my Alfrifi a lot and only use my adjustable daisies in awkward situations. Of course, I use them for jugging but I also use them at the anchor. Not as my safety point but merely to keep positioned and comfortable. I just let them dangle when I’m leading and not using them.
Steve Schneider showed me his system of a looped sling permanently sewn into his jugs. I like it but then I don’t have anything to use at the anchor.

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161
Mark Hudon wrote: That’s sort of a hard one.
I use my Alfrifi a lot and only use my adjustable daisies in awkward situations. Of course, I use them for jugging but I also use them at the anchor. Not as my safety point but merely to keep positioned and comfortable. I just let them dangle when I’m leading and not using them.
Steve Schneider showed me his system of a looped sling permanently sewn into his jugs. I like it but then I don’t have anything to use at the anchor.

Interesting, i'm now thinking about a daisy/pas for the right jug (for adjustable length) and a sling for my left. Getting more minimal than that seems difficult without sacrificing function, and it saves quite a bit of weight compared to adjustable tethers.

Edit: Maybe i'll just stick with adjustables and let them stay extended most of the time.
Skot Richards · · Lakewood · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 100
apoet wrote:

Interesting, i'm now thinking about a daisy/pas for the right jug (for adjustable length) and a sling for my left. Getting more minimal than that seems difficult without sacrificing function, and it saves quite a bit of weight compared to adjustable tethers.

Edit: Maybe i'll just stick with adjustables and let them stay extended most of the time.

I use adjustable daisies that are almost fully extended when I’m leading.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Big Wall and Aid Climbing
Post a Reply to "Tethers for Ascending"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started