Mountain Project Logo

Deleting text - android 8.0

Original Post
Sean Haynes · · Los Angeles · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 102

When text is being deleted from the comment box, the page will scroll to the top of the page.

When typing, it will jump back down to the comment box.

Tony M · · Peabody, MA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0
Sean Haynes wrote: When text is being deleted from the comment box, the page will scroll to the top of the page.

When typing, it will jump back down to the comment box.

Anything on this? It happens to me every time and is annoying as fck. And if you close the app or get a text during your writing it also deletes all that you have already written. 

Cor Ruiten · · Foothill Ranch, CA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Can you list the steps that you perform so that I can attempt to reproduce this behavior?

I am using  version 4.15 (build 121) of the Mountain Project app on my Galaxy S7 Edge phone running Android 8.0.0.

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

Just about anything that causes the screen to refresh erases anything I have entered but not submitted.  In particular rotating the phone with screen rotation enabled.

It's bad enough that I often go to a computer to where anything of any length.

type "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog"

start deleting text one letter at a time and it should do it. I literally just did.

also hitting the space or enter button will do it.
Cor Ruiten · · Foothill Ranch, CA · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

climber pat: I was able to reproduce the erasing of my text when I followed your instructions when posting a reply to an existing forum post.

Sean Hayes: I was not able to reproduce a problem when I followed your instructions when posting a reply to an existing forum post. I am assuming that this is what you meant by "comment box"...

https://youtu.be/jOVlZANzB4I

Try this link I took a video of it happening
Dan 60D5H411 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,239

This behavior also occurs on my Android, but not in the app.  Just using Chrome browser when pressing backspace to delete a portion of a new comment. 

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 808

Happens to me also. 

Jason Anderson · · Boulder · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 185

Hey!  I'm the new android developer.  Thanks for all the great feedback, it really helps.  I know how to fix the problem where your message disappears after rotating or switching apps or locking.  I'll try to get that into the next release.

I'm having trouble reproducing the issue where deleting text makes the page scroll up.  Sean, Dan, Floyd, which phone and android version are you using?  Do you have any idea which keyboard you're using?  Stock android, samsung, gboard?

Samsung s8
 kernel 4.4.78
Android version 8.0
Factory keyboard
May or may not be relative but it's an unlocked version.

It has done that since the beginning for me. Across All updates, l Even tried deleting and reloading the app.
Does it for the app as well as the browser on my phone.

Galaxy S7 Edge
Chrome on Mobile Browser version of MP does it, not Desktop Site.
Newest Version of App does it also.
Android 8.0.0

Dan 60D5H411 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,239

Samsung Galaxy S6 SAMSUNG-SM-G920A
Android v 7.0
Default keyboard
Happens in mobile version of the site in Chrome, have not tested in desktop version or in app.

Jason Anderson wrote: Hey!  I'm the new android developer.  Thanks for all the great feedback, it really helps.  I know how to fix the problem where your message disappears after rotating or switching apps or locking.  I'll try to get that into the next release.

I'm having trouble reproducing the issue where deleting text makes the page scroll up.  Sean, Dan, Floyd, which phone and android version are you using?  Do you have any idea which keyboard you're using?  Stock android, samsung, gboard?

Hi Jason,

Glad you're trying to work on it.  Im using a Galaxy S9+ running Android 8.0.0. - Also using the default Keyboard

Jason Anderson · · Boulder · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 185

Thanks for responding, that helped me reproduce it.  The Samsung and LG keyboards have some unusual behavior.  We should be able to fix it in the next couple weeks.

Nothing on this yet? 

Peter Underwood · · Tucson · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 191

Still happens to me (screen scrolls upward when backspacing on android, samsung note 8)

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 25

Deleting the text scrolls me to the top as well. Galaxy S7 Edge. I'll update with keyboard and version.

Edit: Android 8.0.0, Samsung Experience 9.0, Samsung Keyboard.

Jason Anderson wrote: Hey!  I'm the new android developer.  Thanks for all the great feedback, it really helps.  I know how to fix the problem where your message disappears after rotating or switching apps or locking.  I'll try to get that into the next release.

Hey admin. Still nothing? I've completely given up posting on this forum. I gave it a try a few times and it's so frustrating I stopped bothering. 

Wasted about half an hour trying to post some stuff in for sale just now and tried to edit a few things before finishing and because of this scrolling I hit a wrong button and it reloaded. Deleting everything.
Tony M wrote:

Hey admin. Still nothing? I've completely given up posting on this forum. I gave it a try a few times and it's so frustrating I stopped bothering. 

Wasted about half an hour trying to post some stuff in for sale just now and tried to edit a few things before finishing and because of this scrolling I hit a wrong button and it reloaded. Deleting everything.

It sucks, I usually just get on my PC to post.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "Deleting text - android 8.0"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started