Mountain Project Logo

"not rated for climbing"

Original Post
Karl K · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 542
IcePick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 100

WTF
Ok who taught this young man how to lead.

Karl K · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 542

Some quotes (most of the article, really) for those who don't want to click the link:
"On Sunday, September 9 at approximately 1:20 p.m., the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue Unit responded to a climbing accident at the climbing area known as The Pit, which is accessed from the Canyon Vista Campground. According to a press release, a 12-year-old male who was climbing with family members had fallen approximately 20 feet and was injured. "
The climber sustained a head injury and a wrist injury and was transported by ambulance to Flagstaff Medical Center for treatment.
Investigation into the accident revealed that the climber was lead-climbing a route known as The Microwave and fell while he was attempting to clip his rope to the third bolt fixed on the route. When he fell, the carabiners connected to the second bolt and first bolt broke.
According to the Sheriff's Department, upon inspection it was determined that the carabiners were not rated for climbing."

Tyler Newcomb · · New York, New York | Boston · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 81
IcePick wrote: WTF
Ok who taught this young man how to lead.

I'm hoping himself or his family for the sake of anyone else who could have learned from them. I sincerely hope that the kid is okay. 

The parents should be held accountable for this as well, the gear failure might due to them trying to save some money. 
James Lee · · Mobile, AL · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 35

" Let me get my keys off here, and you can use this one...."

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to ""not rated for climbing""

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started