Mountain Project Logo

Heart rate monitors

SeƱor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Ryan Pfleger wrote:

Strava has a climbing activity option now. Don't know how it presents the data as I haven't used it yet.

Hidden right under my nose this whole time. Thank you! Will test this at the gym tonight and report back. 

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

In terms of wearables I’ve only used an Apple Watch 3. It is super accurate for running, hiking biking etc. extremely inaccurate when doing any arm intensive sport like Rock climbing, x/c skiing etc.
the watch only takes samples like every 15 secs or so however so the indication does lag a bit if u are training short intervals but is more than good enough if you are doing long zone 1 work like new alpinism recommends.  

Duncan Domingue · · Scott, LA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I use an Amazfit Bip for running, and I find it's at least consistent, if not accurate. The heart rate monitor seems to capture what's going on with my ole' ticker, but I don't have anything to compare it with so take that with a grain of salt. I know I'm pushing myself unsustainably hard  when it reads over 175, and I'm just cruising if it's below 160. The GPS is accurate enough for what I need, it's been between 0 and 5% off for distance when I run (compared to me mapping my route with Google Maps), which I find acceptable. Even better than all that, it's cheap! And I only charge it once a month​!

Taylor D. · · Burlington, VT · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 44
Long Ranger wrote:

I agree with this, but if someone is just getting into training aerobically, they won't know where TF they are in their zones, and they'll most likely overexert, which defeats the whole purpose of a base period of aerobic training. It's extremely counter intuitive to think that one goes fast by first going slow. 

Thanks to everyone for the (varied) responses! It looks like there are a lot of options at different price points that work well. I also agree that I'd like to learn what the zones "feel" like, but I have no idea where to start and I'm definitely the type of person who would overexert as Long Ranger describes, which doesn't help me build my base. Borrowing one is a good idea, but I'm not sure if I know anyone with any of the hardware described in this thread.

Cheers, be safe this weekend!
Matt S. · · Milwaukee, WI · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

I use the TICKR from WAHOO and my phone for my HR monitoring needs.  I'm currently on one of uphill athletes plans so it syncing to Training Peaks is perfect!  A buddy of mine uses his Garmin Fenix 5 and it is pretty close to what the strap says, so that would be the way to do it if you have the coin to spend on a watch.  I'm too cheap to buy one though so the $50 route was much more appealing. 

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Anyone happen to use the Forerunner 645? Trying to find a gps watch to track 24/7 hr, sleep/stress, but also use for ski touring, mtbing, trail running. I know the chest strap is more accurate but I hated wearing it when I used it with my old Ambit 2 and figured some data is better than no data as long as it's reasonably accurate.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Heart rate monitors"