Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

New and experienced climbers over 50, #3

Original Post
Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,095

I'm not over 50, but you guys are my first stop every visit to MP.  I despaired when I saw the locked thread, so made this one, titled according to John's suggestion.

Get to work, you guys have 999 posts ahead of you!

Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 176
Lori Milas wrote:Dallas... I love all that you share!  With all the posting here it's easy to miss something, or not respond... but you had me worried when you described a heat stroke.  Was this recent?  And are you ok?
In another post you mentioned that it is Barbara who loves climbing... but I don't remember what you said about yourself
Heat stroke, couple of years ago.  It got my attention.  It took nearly 2 years but I have had my heart and other parts tested. I am just older and out of shape.  I didn't pay my dues back when in my 40's and 50's.  Now it's going to take more work.

Barbara is a kitten, she just loves to climb.  And like a kitten she will go up things without knowing how to get down.  I am the gear head.  I figure stuff out, study materials, breaking strength, self rescue, aid climbing, etc.  While she has the heart of a climber I just enjoy it.  We'll be doing this for a long time and we are slowly getting better at it.

Actually, my routine now is one Ener-C pack and a Nuun tab in a liter bottle... ).  It could help Barb with her hypoglycemia.
I will look into that, thanks for the tip.

the first time it occurred to me that game-changing injury or death might come ... from a mental lapse. ... Will there come a day when we 'forgot where we put our keys' only the 'forgot' part is to properly tie in, or make sure we are on the same rope system.  
I watched my mom sink into severe dementia. We are a long way from forgetting to tie in.  But forgetfulness is a part of aging.  It's important to remain honestly self aware, there will come a time when we must stop doing activities because we become a danger to ourselves and others.  It was difficult to take her drivers license away because she couldn't remember how to get home nor how to use a cell phone.  It's also different for every individual.

Ok. I think this is really an internal pre-birthday check... I've been reviewing all systems, 
63 is coming up in a couple of weeks.  

I guess.  Took a look in the mirror, took a look in my heart... have wound up in a total life review, most welcome, but kind of startling in ways.  Hopefully it all ties up with a great liftoff in my aluminum lawn chair and weather balloons... or the equivalent adventure, perhaps next week in Joshua Tree.  

willingness to give what you have to the effort.  No expectations of sending the climb, but the willingness to give it everything and to learn and to be present.  As in life...  

Well said.
Alicia Sokolowski wrote: I'm not over 50, but you guys are my first stop every visit to MP.  I despaired when I saw the locked thread, so made this one, titled according to John's suggestion.

Thanks for doing this!

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

Since we've been talking about things that can go wrong if you have (even a momentary) lapse of attention, I'll throw in a warning about the mistake that everyone thinks they could never make because "I COULDN'T BE THAT STUPID," which is thinking you're clipped into the autobelay when you're not. Yes you could. Not only have people been seriously injured and killed doing this, but if you talk to gym climbers about it, a surprisingly large number will tell you that they've done it and been lucky enough to realize -- or have someone else spot -- their mistake in time.

Just want to put that out there.

Lori Milas · · Rocklin, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 170

If you're out of hearing range, either indoors or outside... is there a universal "Oh, shit!" signal that a climber could recognize?  Like... come.down.now. ?  Or... don't move, you are not on a rope! 

Unless my belayer screamed at me, I would not have known I was in trouble.  A scream might not have helped much, either.  Very busy night, lots of noise... 40 foot walls.  And outside, especially in the wind... impossible to hear.

I was thinking of yanks on the rope, or some kind of SOS signal a climber could feel.  I'm sure there is such a thing... what is it?

And yes... we've had some deaths in our gym because the belayer was tied in to an adjacent rope, the climber was not attached.  Lots of preventable oopsies. 
----------------------

Speaking of... I was just taking a moment to review Double Cross this morning, for a do-over next week if possible... but I didn't realize that a whole thread had been devoted just to this one route, and largely about the number of deaths from that one climb.  How in the hell can that be?  it was DIFFICULT (for me as a beginner)... never thought of it as deadly.  Is it possible that it's just leader-error... top roping should be absolutely safe, right?  RIGHT???

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 748
Alicia Sokolowski wrote: I'm not over 50, but you guys are my first stop every visit to MP.  I despaired when I saw the locked thread, so made this one, titled according to John's suggestion.

Alicia! Yay! Grab a marshmallow and cozy up to the fire, anytime!

Best, Helen
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 748
Lori Milas wrote: If you're out of hearing range, either indoors or outside... is there a universal "Oh, shit!" signal that a climber could recognize?  Like... come.down.now. ?  Or... don't move, you are not on a rope! 

Unless my belayer screamed at me, I would not have known I was in trouble.  A scream might not have helped much, either.  Very busy night, lots of noise... 40 foot walls.  And outside, especially in the wind... impossible to hear.

I was thinking of yanks on the rope, or some kind of SOS signal a climber could feel.  I'm sure there is such a thing... what is it?

And yes... we've had some deaths in our gym because the belayer was tied in to an adjacent rope, the climber was not attached.  Lots of preventable oopsies. 
----------------------

Speaking of... I was just taking a moment to review Double Cross this morning, for a do-over next week if possible... but I didn't realize that a whole thread had been devoted just to this one route, and largely about the number of deaths from that one climb.  How in the hell can that be?  it was DIFFICULT (for me as a beginner)... never thought of it as deadly.  Is it possible that it's just leader-error... top roping should be absolutely safe, right?  RIGHT???

Of course top roping is always safe....just like an autobelay, riiiiggghhhhtttttt??????

Jeffrey Constine · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 548
 Tr can be safe. but not 100% safe.
Tim Lutz · · Colo-Rado Springs · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Old lady H wrote:

Of course top roping is always safe....just like an autobelay, riiiiggghhhhtttttt??????

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 145

Thanks Alicia!

Lovena Harwood · · MA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 375

Thanks Alicia!!

Was at my local gym this morning! It's minutes from my house and I like their women's only fitness room and their weight training classes. But most of all I like their climbing tower with 5 autobelays and a crack wall! Oooohh la-laaah!

My gym. Fresh air kind only.
Lori Milas · · Rocklin, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 170

I’m looking forward to some time climbing outdoors so I can give some sore body parts a rest.  I have blisters on my palms but didn’t want to miss a last session at the gym so I gerry rigged a solution—a splitter glove worn backwards. It saved another layer of skin.

Jon W · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

How about Goals and training regiments to attain them.

We all know that training and results change as we get older.  How do the "more seasoned" climbers get stronger? Anyone still train like they did when they were younger?

How young?

I had a really good time belaying this young lady and her little sister.

Tom Hickmann · · Bend · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0
Jon W wrote: How about Goals and training regiments to attain them.

We all know that training and results change as we get older.  How do the "more seasoned" climbers get stronger? Anyone still train like they did when they were younger?
  • I train 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, and I definitely did not do that when I was younger. The difference is that I mix it up. I limit climbing to 2 to 3 days a week. Other days are a mix of weights and cardio. After the age 50 muscle atrophy is a real problem. I have a workout gym I go to in the mornings, climbing gym on evenings, and outside on rock other days. I have found it takes a lot more now to maintain strength than it ever used to.

Jon W · · Longmont Colorado · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75
Tom Hickmann wrote:
  • I train 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, and I definitely did not do that when I was younger. The difference is that I mix it up. I limit climbing to 2 to 3 days a week. Other days are a mix of weights and cardio. After the age 50 muscle atrophy is a real problem. I have a workout gym I go to in the mornings, climbing gym on evenings, and outside on rock other days. I have found it takes a lot more now to maintain strength than it ever used to.

Sounds like a lot of working out and not a lot of rest. I gotta have some rest days. Wish I had that kind of energy.

I train at most, twice a week and climb Sat, Sun and one evening during the week (all outside and often on projects). I'll maybe mtn bike once but that's it.

I'm 56 I find if I take a few weeks off I climb way stronger and better, no gym weights or Gym plastic.

Little Paige
Russ Walling · · www.FishProducts.com · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 3,231
Tufa scum aftermath a couple days ago.... a post mostly so I can find this new thread
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "New and experienced climbers over 50, #3"
in the Training Forum