Mountain Project Logo

El Rito, Glampbaggers looking for beta on camping

Original Post
Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 191

Yo, Barbara and I are glampbaggers. We live in a big ass 5th wheel travel trailer and travel all over the US and climb.  We have not been to El Rito yet but are planning on stopping by around the 10th of October.  I found some info on the El Rito Campground  36.400465, -106.253276 but can't determine if I can get my Rv in there.  We will be in transit so don't have a lot of time to scope things out.  

I also saw a post about riff raff and theft there.  

Anyone providing good camping beta gets good belay's, free food, and beer.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

Can your 5th wheel go over biggish ruts on a dirt road? If so, there is good dispersed camping when you take a left turn immediately past the parking. There have been incidents of theft/vandalism in the past, but not recently. Can't speak of little river wall, which is where the campground is, as I've never camped there.

the schmuck wrote: Can your 5th wheel go over biggish ruts on a dirt road? If so, there is good dispersed camping when you take a left turn immediately past the parking. There have been incidents of theft/vandalism in the past, but not recently. Can't speak of little river wall, which is where the campground is, as I've never camped there.

I can clear about 4" if it is flat.  If there are any mounds or humps to go over I am done because it bottoms out on the tail end.  Nice to know about the theft/vandalism trend.

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

I drive a 2wd Tacoma without a lift and never bottomed out. A friend's honda fit scrapes on occasion. The worst part of the camping road is the first 50 yards. 

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

There is absolutely no way you'll get it into the dispersed camping at the main trail head. The climbing at Little River is before the campground so not too many people here would know much more. From what I've seen, you're fine if you go slow. Lock the doors and I'm sure you have insurance. It's really your only option.

Owen S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 3,363
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote: There is absolutely no way you'll get it into the dispersed camping at the main trail head. The climbing at Little River is before the campground so not too many people here would know much more. From what I've seen, you're fine if you go slow. Lock the doors and I'm sure you have insurance. It's really your only option.

Seconded. The road to the FS el rito campground is flat, and Ive seen large RVs camping there.

While I do have insurance I just as soon not have to go down that road.  I got my truck broke into in WA, $2500 out of pocket.  I thought they only took my wifes cell phone. Turns out I had some cameras ,GPS, etc in the truck.  Fortunately I had taken the climbing gear out the night before so I could carry passengers. I thought it would cost me a couple of hundred to get the lock fixed, nay, nay.  $1200.  So while I can survive petty theft I really don't want to go there.

I am sure my fierce guard/crag dog will protect the RV and properties with her life.  Or not.

I guess I will heed the warnings and check with law enforcement.  

It also sounds like I need to ease into El Rito and check it out before we jump into it.
s.price wrote: Piedra Canyon has tons of accessible spots some right on a lake. Some right down the road from my house. Definitely check out El Rito but if your in the area...

I saw that, thinking it was a bit of a drive.  Ojo Caliente has an RV park, and Abiquiu Lake has some organized camping also.  Looks like I am going to expand my search a little. 

Thanks S.price, thanks Mason Stone. 

Thank you all for your input.  I now have a plan.  We will go  to the Corps campground, Riana, on Abiquiu Lake for a day or so and go scout it out.  If you see a big black stiped Momentum parked there stop by for a beer. 

Finally made it to El Rito Sport Crag today.  Really glad we didn't drag the RV up the road.  Couple of places we could have pulled off, but the washes in the road would have caused it to bottom out big time.  I would not recommend anything larger than a 22-24' Rv make the attempt, even at that you will be challenged.

Also note to self, do not attempt to RV anywhere within 200 miles of Albuquerque during the balloon festival.  Everything sold out months in advance.  

Riana was overflowing because of the balloon festival, combined with closing for the season next Monday.  Couldn't stay there.  Road Runner sold out. Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs RV park sold out.  We had a water pump go out on the fresh water system so we could not dry camp.  Ended up at Heron Lake State Park Campground 75 miles away from El Rito.  Note to self, 64 north to 111 then south through Canon Plaza to 554 is not a good short cut, good thing I had 4x4.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "El Rito, Glampbaggers looking for beta on camping"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started