Mountain Project Logo

DELETED

Original Post
Spencer Parkin · · Bountiful · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

awaiting admin deletion

Bryan K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 525

If Tommy Caldwell and his girlfriend can't talk him out of it, I sincerely doubt this will.

Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,952

My opinion (because also no one cares), don’t push your climbing ideals/feelings/style on others (unless it’s bolting a trad climb) and let them be them. You be you.  

Chris Hill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 0

"When you free-solo, you don't just risk your own life, you risk the well-being of those who care about you."

I don't think Alex has any obligation to heed the feelings of random internet strangers.  Why don't you mind your own biz?

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

honnold just texted me to let me know hes seen your post, he didnt realize he is/could be affecting others and he may quit climbing now.

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 26
Taylor Parkin wrote: Dear Alex Honnold,

It is the climber's sacred right and privileged to take whatever risks they want to take.  And we must differentiate between risk and consequence.  But might I also add, we must also consider how our decisions affect other people.  When you free-solo, you don't just risk your own life, you risk the well-being of those who care about you.

Sincerely,
--No one of consequence, but possibly representative of many people's feelings on the matter.

I came across this...
https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/alex-honnold-climbs-halfway-up-a-new-jersey-skyscraper
I really don't want to read an article one day about Alex falling.

P.S.: I think Alex's free-solo of El-Cap is the coolest thing ever!!  Don't misunderstand me.  But I would never ask him to do it again, or to have done it in the first place.

Alex Honnold doesn't give a shit about your opinion.  In fact, no one does.  No one should except for you.  

You are no one of consequence.  Neither am I.  That's the point.  No one wants to read an article about him splatting.  We don't get to make that choice.  I don't want to read about genocide in other continents either.  Or our failing infrastructure.  Or how AI is going to revolutionize how rich people can fuck the rest of us over.  But there it is.  

Make your own decisions, other people will make theirs.  Hero worship is unbecoming.  And kind of creepy.
mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Jake wander wrote: honnold just texted me to let me know hes seen your post, he didnt realize he is/could be affecting others and he may quit climbing now.

He just texted me and wants to know how the hell you got his number. And no, he doesn’t like you. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Dean free soloed all the time and died base jumping.
Dan free soloed all the time and died jumping off the rock (I guess you could kinda call it bungee jumping).

I think we need to try to talk alex into sticking with free soloing. I mean really most of the really famous free soloers died doing other things so it is safer if he sticks to only free soloing.

That and based on that other thread it is alot safer to free solo than climb with a partner because they may rape you.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Really thought this thread was going to be about Alex (Spelled Aleks?) the MP troll. Sad. 

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015
ViperScale . wrote: Dean free soloed all the time and died base jumping.
Dan free soloed all the time and died jumping off the rock (I guess you could kinda call it bungee jumping).

I think we need to try to talk alex into sticking with free soloing. I mean really most of the really famous free soloers died doing other things so it is safer if he sticks to only free soloing.

That and based on that other thread it is alot safer to free solo than climb with a partner because they may rape you.

and Michael Reardon died by being swept away by the ocean. 

Timothy Case · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Don't forget Saucerboy...live radical, be radical and *safe and understand that sometimes things happen...

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
don'tchuffonme wrote:

Or how AI is going to revolutionize how rich people can fuck ...

climbing friend,

the robots they are designed for the sex pleasures

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/10/there-s-a-new-sex-robot-in-town-say-hello-to-solana/
Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

This is a troll, right?

John Barritt · · The 405 · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,083
jon jugenheimer wrote: My opinion (because also no one cares), don’t push your climbing ideals/feelings/style on others (unless it’s bolting a trad climb) and let them be them. You be you.  

So you're for or against bolting trad climbs?

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

GUD STUFF BRAJ

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911

Taylor Parkin wrote:Dear Alex Honnold,

It is the climber's sacred right and privileged to take whatever risks they want to take.  And we must differentiate between risk and consequence.  But might I also add, we must also consider how our decisions affect other people.  When you free-solo, you don't just risk your own life, you risk the well-being of those who care about you.

Sincerely,
--No one of consequence, but possibly representative of many people's feelings on the matter.

I came across this...
https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/alex-honnold-climbs-halfway-up-a-new-jersey-skyscraper

P.S.: I think Alex's free-solo of El-Cap is the coolest thing ever!!  Don't misunderstand me.  But I would never ask him to do it again, or to have done it in the first place.

What would heavenly father do, that's what I want to know?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Mobes Mobesely wrote: Taylor Parkin wrote:Dear Alex Honnold,

Sincerely,

I came across this...

What would heavenly father do, that's what I want to know?

Just because you "dont want to read an article about Alex falling" isn't really a good reason for him to stop.

This has been debated to death, LIVE AND LET LIVE!
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Lets send a letter to trump to pass a law and require all free soloers to wear a parachute or get arrested and put in jail.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "DELETED"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started