Mountain Project Logo

Outdoor climbing routes for kids

Original Post
Ryan Stallings · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 0

Anyone know of any good outdoor routes that I can take my 4 yr olds to?  I live in Ogden, but am willing to go up to Logan or down to Salt Lake area for them. We have climbing walls at the house, but I want to get them on the real thing.  

Bryson White · · Ogden, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

If you make the drive to City of Rocks the practice wall area has a great, mellow slab that i toprope my kiddo on. He loves it.

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

Practice rock at the city is great for the kids. I have set up a hip belay on some of the easier boulders at the gate before in LCC for my 4 year old. University slab at the gate is a option as well. 

Tom Powell · · Ogden, Utah · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I've put my kids on cub scout corner at 9th street in Ogden. The goal with someone that young is letting them have fun not necessarily getting to the top.

Scott Morris · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 853

Check out the far right (west) side of Beachball Crag in Big Cottonwood. There is a heavily featured slabby wall there that my 5 year old really enjoys. 

B Jolley · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 172
Dogwood crag in lower Big Cottonwood, great beginner crag 5.6+ with an easy approach to the top to setup Top Rope.
bognish · · Sandy, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 0

If you make it to LCC the bottom section of Born Again is great for kids. You can scramble up the to anchors and TR the first 35' face. Shady and never crowded. Short approach from the Gates Parking lot. I wouldn't drive from Ogden for this, but if you are in the area...

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

^^ I was going to say dogwood but I feel like that 5.6+ is too hard for a 4 year old. Plus with high water and tons of people I do not think its a great crag for the young kids. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Outdoor climbing routes for kids"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.