Mountain Project Logo

So...how do you guys make your morning cup of joe?

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

So my setup pretty much since getting back into camping (for the sake of climbing) has been Turkish coffee using an Ibriq on a Coleman stove. This is nice and simple with minimal supplies (no coffee filters), but I’m sick of waiting several years to get the damn thing to boil water (if it even lights in cold weather) and finally went out and got a JetBoil.  This seems like it will vastly improve the speed component and will give me more time for my bold 5.7 trad ascents, but the system is self contained and not conducive to my original setup.  SO I’m looking for a replacement.  A few stipulations:
1) No instant coffee.  I’m a snob.
2) Really, really trying to avoid filters.  Not only is this extra mess, it’s also one more thing I have to remember to keep stocked.
3) Able to produce larger volumes.  I like to be able to offer a cup to partners and, in cold weather, store some in a thermos for later.
4) Nothing breakable.  Fairly obvious, but glass is out.  Doesn’t have to be ultra lightweight for car camping, but I don’t want to have to worry about breaking it when I throw everything in the stuff sack.

The obvious choice is the coffee press that Jetboil sells with their boilers...however, I’m a bit wary of this option, as I’ll be using the water for other purposes as well and I don’t want to imprint/dirty up the boiler.  Has anyone used it?  Other thoughts?

Adrienne DiRosario · · Troy, NY · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Don’t waste your money on the jet boil press, it’s a piece of garbage. This is my go-to after trying numerous different methods. http://www.gsioutdoors.com/commuter-javapress.html

It doesn’t quite satisfy your rule number 3 but you can make a mug and pour it into a cup and then let the next guy have a go. My wife and I shared one for a while but eventually just bought a second.

Edit- as for the reviews that say they leak, those people are idiots. Don’t overfill it or try to rapidly push the press and it works just fine. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

Ah, that’s a good idea!

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Armchair Asshole · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 220

I'm a big fan of the pourover, using a metal filter. Sea to Summit makes a collapsible one that works great for my purposes. Metal filter on the bottom, cooking-grade collapsible silicone for the rest of the filter. Dish washer safe, etc.

A percolator would satisfy all your requirements though. I'm not a big fan of the taste, but it's good if you're just trying to get something going in the morning while you make breakfast. Cowboy coffee would be the easiest way to go; again, the taste leaves something to be desired.

Skibo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

1) Lexan coffee press--take the plunger apart and the press has useable storage.
2) MSR Mug Mate--good for a single cup
3) I think GSI makes a filter that screws on top of a Nalgene bottle--you can make a liter at a time (I use a cozie too) gsioutdoors.com/shop/coffee…
4) Cowboy coffee filtered with a MugMate

Gus Nava · · Oregon · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

I’ve been using the Espro Travel Press for about the past year. I use it camping and also day to day. It’s fairly expensive (I think I spent $30 on mine) but is super durable and makes really good coffee.

It sounds like a bigger French Press might be good option for you. You can find them for just a couple bucks at Home Goods and the Pyrex ones hold up to a good amount of abuse (I finally broke mine when it fell into the path of a van door being closed). 

Ira O · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 66

Cowboy coffee.  The sludge at the bottom really gets ya moving! 

Anthony McGlynn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Cowboy coffee ftw. Honestly I dont even filter it when I make it. 

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 582

Nissan (perhaps others) makes an insulated stainless steel French press.   I've had mine for close to two decades.   Makes about a litre of coffee and keeps it hot for an hour when temps are around 40F.  

Mike D · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 834

I have two methods for making coffee in the field.

Both involve boiling water on my backpacking stove or camp stove.

First is a pourover with #2 gold cone filter and a Melitta cup-top cone-shape brewer directly into my travel mug.

Second is an Americano made with an Aeropress using the inverted press method. This is better, but is more time consuming, and takes up more space.

Jim Bernard · · Westport, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

At home I weigh my beans and water on a digital scale so the amount is exact and consistent every time. I use a burr grinder and pour over from a digital temp select electric kettle so the water is exactly the temp I want. So yes I am a coffee snob. But out in the field? FTS! I use Starbucks French Roast Via.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "So...how do you guys make your morning cup of joe?"