Mountain Project Logo

Cathedral Ledge Lower Left Wall - "Nobody raps here!"

lukeweiss · · St. Johnsbury, VT · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 30

"Only after a lot of that, while my partner worked out the delicate face moves below you, I figured we might have to change our plans in order to escape the bowling alley effect.  I asked in a friendly and concerned tone (to match how I felt towards you at the time) “Are you guys ok?”  and you replied, all smiles “Yes, it’s just taking a while.”  I asked: “A new leader?” and you said “Yes, this is his first trad lead.”  (In the meantime, it blossomed into an “onsight”).  I answered “Ok, good luck.  Just let us know if you want to go down, we’ll wait.” You said “No, we’re fine.” to which I replied “No worries, take your time.”   I smiled politely through all of this.  If THAT made you feel inadequate, what can I say….  You clearly felt inadequate before I opened my mouth, while your partner kept falling and fumbling with gear.  But maybe you also felt inadequate because you also dropped a sunglass case directly on us at some point.  You yelled rock, thankfully, so my partner dodged it in the last moment, and it bounced past me. You said “I guess I should have clipped it to something” and asked us if we saw where it went and we gave you the location as best we could.   Pretty pathetic of you to write this nasty post, omitting some embarrassing detail,  after all the friendly and supportive communication you received from me…"

this is so full of fabrication, I don't even know where to start. I am sitting here dumbfounded. Particularly that "new leader" "first trad lead" stuff. Total nonsense. Brent has climbed with me before, a few times. He knows that was not my first trad lead. It was my first real 5.8.

There is little in your paragraph that is not wildly twisted and re-imagined. I am dismayed at your sense of reality.

Here is my response: I did not feel inadequate. I felt distracted, at a time when focus was both required and difficult. Your tone was there and is here condescending, pedantic, and unleashed from reality (did you really think rock was going to come down on you from bombardment?).

I hope you can find more kindness and joy in your climbing experiences. 

Ocalslay Onlyyay · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,170
lukeweiss wrote: "Only after a lot of that, while my partner worked out the delicate face moves below you, I figured we might have to change our plans in order to escape the bowling alley effect.  I asked in a friendly and concerned tone (to match how I felt towards you at the time) “Are you guys ok?”  and you replied, all smiles “Yes, it’s just taking a while.”  I asked: “A new leader?” and you said “Yes, this is his first trad lead.”  (In the meantime, it blossomed into an “onsight”).  I answered “Ok, good luck.  Just let us know if you want to go down, we’ll wait.” You said “No, we’re fine.” to which I replied “No worries, take your time.”   I smiled politely through all of this.  If THAT made you feel inadequate, what can I say….  You clearly felt inadequate before I opened my mouth, while your partner kept falling and fumbling with gear.  But maybe you also felt inadequate because you also dropped a sunglass case directly on us at some point.  You yelled rock, thankfully, so my partner dodged it in the last moment, and it bounced past me. You said “I guess I should have clipped it to something” and asked us if we saw where it went and we gave you the location as best we could.   Pretty pathetic of you to write this nasty post, omitting some embarrassing detail,  after all the friendly and supportive communication you received from me…"

this is so full of fabrication, I don't even know where to start. I am sitting here dumbfounded. Particularly that "new leader" "first trad lead" stuff. Total nonsense. Brent has climbed with me before, a few times. He knows that was not my first trad lead. It was my first real 5.8.

There is little in your paragraph that is not wildly twisted and re-imagined. I am dismayed at your sense of reality.

Here is my response: I did not feel inadequate. I felt distracted, at a time when focus was both required and difficult. Your tone was there and is here condescending, pedantic, and unleashed from reality (did you really think rock was going to come down on you from bombardment?).

I hope you can find more kindness and joy in your climbing experiences. 

Lol

losbill · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 130
DGoguen wrote:

Nailed it.

The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.
Nice. 

Dave what has come over you? What has New Hampshire done to you?  As The Rudy has instructed us, "The truth is not the truth".  Thus, I think but I am not at all sure, there can be no middle of there is no truth.  Or truths.  Don't you need two truths for a middle?  But isn't the truth singular? I am so confused.  Feeling at bit existentialist thinking about the entire thing.  Sort of like hives after a wasp sting.  

BTW not concerned at all of "derailing" this thread with political BS.  It has been a POS from the beginning.  I am embarrassed at having followed its ridiculous twists and turns from the very ridiculous beginning.  Could certainly by a guilty pleasure but I have not taken any pleasure in it.  But they say confession is good for the soul.  Perhaps it is the first step towards recovery for me.  

But to be to be honest I don't think I have read more than one or two sentences of any of the posts.  Except for Tiff's.  Not sure what evoked her post but for her to do so there must have been a real A-hole on the other end.

BTW.  Eric.  Walk off?  What is wrong with you?!?!? Last time I tried that I ended up at the hotel having cocktails.   I got cocked. It got late.   Had to bivy in the woods on the walk back to the car.  A real epic. Rap, Brother, Rap.  

I think I need therapy.  In the meantime I am going for another glass of wine.
samuel von hammerstien · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 148
wonderwoman wrote:

It is nice of you to offer to bury the hatchet & meet this person.  In all honesty, please reflect on the last time a male climber made you ‘feel inadequate’, because those are the words that jumped out at me.  I have never heard a man say that he was made to feel inadequate from another male, but I have heard plenty of men use those words when encountering competent women.

You say perception is part of the problem, and you are right - which is why I am asking you to reflect on your choice of wording.  When I read ‘made to feel inadequate’ my perception was that you felt a little intimidated by a strong woman.  
In my 44 years on this planet, I have a feeling that I have inadvertently made several men (but probably no women) feel inadequate just by being myself.  At the very least, I have been labeled as ‘difficult’.

Just asking you to please reflect on this. I do hope you all had an awesome day at Cathedral, in spite of all this very minor drama.  You all went home safe with a full day of climbing.  Does life get any better?

HA! I have one for you.  I fell off a route and my buddy(Male) walking by said "huh, I thought you would be doing better than that."  Took the wind right out of my sails.

Matt Desenberg · · Limerick, ME · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 160
wonderwoman wrote:

I have never heard a man say that he was made to feel inadequate from another male, but I have heard plenty of men use those words when encountering competent women.

Say hello to the rest of Venus, because you clearly still reside there. 

Manufactured "gender issues" are just fucking annoying.
Dhane Knakkergaard · · Intervale, NH · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 95

^ Had the parties been switched this would have been man-splaining...

There are 3 sides to every story I have been told. Your side, their side, and the truth.

I have no idea why I am compelled to post in this thread, but the keyboard gets itchy every time I see it updated.

Erik Howes · · Conway, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 10

I just read through this entire thread... It was incredibly entertaining. Think I might even give up Instagram/facebook and switch to MP for my entertainment!! But after reading this story I am left with just one question... Who is "M Fr" ??? Soloing... Long winded rants... Women equality... Twisting up stories... Could it be... No..? Could it..? VESNA?!

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 41

Isnt   that horse dead yet?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Erik Howes wrote: I just read through this entire thread... It was incredibly entertaining. Think I might even give up Instagram/facebook and switch to MP for my entertainment!! But after reading this story I am left with just one question... Who is "M Fr" ??? Soloing... Long winded rants... Women equality... Twisting up stories... Could it be... No..? Could it..? VESNA?!

What the hell are you talking about?

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 250
Marc801 C wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?

Clearly an infamous local. 

Liam Byrer · · North Conway, NH · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 80
Erik Howes wrote: I just read through this entire thread... It was incredibly entertaining. Think I might even give up Instagram/facebook and switch to MP for my entertainment!! But after reading this story I am left with just one question... Who is "M Fr" ??? Soloing... Long winded rants... Women equality... Twisting up stories... Could it be... No..? Could it..? VESNA?!

Not Nice Erik. "Guideline #1: don't be a jerk"

If you've got something not-nice to say about someone, find a less public way to say it. Can we let this sleeping dog lie, please?
Erik Howes · · Conway, NH · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 10

When most people in the Valley, and now on MP, have a "Vesna story"- am I really the one who is being a jerk? Goodnight, sleepy dog.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,476
Erik Howes wrote: When most people in the Valley, and now on MP, have a "Vesna story"- am I really the one who is being a jerk? Goodnight, sleepy dog.

Didn't she fall out of an airplane? Amazing story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/world/europe/vesna-vulovic-died-flight-attendant-in-plunge.html

Ocalslay Onlyyay · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,170

Please provide Vesna backstory

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Cathedral Ledge Lower Left Wall - "Nobody raps…"