Mountain Project Logo

Jiujitsu

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10
Anthony McGlynn wrote:

At a competitive level for jiujitsu whule keeping up with some tough climbs. Mostly I'm interested in how people hold up injury wise while doing both to an expert level. Im a brown belt in bjj looking to go to worlds and the pan ams and tons of pro matches. I eventually would love to do ADCC but I also really want to hit some big climbs. Do some really big rock but in order to do that I gotta hit a lot of small rock and get up to par for it. 

What do you mean by big rock? Big multipitch rigs? What sort of grades? If you are looking to bang out moderate 5.10/5.11 or under big routes than sure, training at a high BJJ level and climbing at a moderate technical difficultly level is probably easy enough to maintain. But if you are trying to push your upper limits of grades, or into a new grade range, then your climbing would likely suffer from high intensity BJJ training, or your BJJ game would probably suffer from high intensity climbing training. Sure, people often partake in multiple sports, but to do so at a high level in both where you are trying to break through different thresholds is difficult. You gonna roll hard one night, climb hard another night, roll hard the night after, climb hard the night after etc etc? Cause that'll just not work.

F loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 386
Ocalslay Onlyyay wrote: FWIW, if you're thinking about leaving climbing and trying jiujitsu, it's an easy transition as well.  I only trained for a month before my knee was injured, but the core strength and grip strength carry over.  Between those two things (and that I'm a fast learner,) they thought I had trained somewhere before.  

How did you hurt your knee? I thought knee injuries were bad form or partner, although I don't grapple anymore for old/fat reasons. I agree the grip strength and hip conscious movements can carry over. 

Anthony McGlynn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0
climberish wrote:

What do you mean by big rock? Big multipitch rigs? What sort of grades? If you are looking to bang out moderate 5.10/5.11 or under big routes than sure, training at a high BJJ level and climbing at a moderate technical difficultly level is probably easy enough to maintain. But if you are trying to push your upper limits of grades, or into a new grade range, then your climbing would likely suffer from high intensity BJJ training, or your BJJ game would probably suffer from high intensity climbing training. Sure, people often partake in multiple sports, but to do so at a high level in both where you are trying to break through different thresholds is difficult. You gonna roll hard one night, climb hard another night, roll hard the night after, climb hard the night after etc etc? Cause that'll just not work.

Yeah thats kind of what I thought. Im a limit pusher through and through. So obviously i want to climb higher and higher grades. I would love to be able to do like a multiday 5.10 or 5.11 climb or better. But so far I capped at 5.7 two pitch climb. Im pretty new to climbing still in general but have been loving it so far. However there is no way im giving up bjj or competition for it. 

Anthony McGlynn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0
Floyd Eggers wrote:

How did you hurt your knee? I thought knee injuries were bad form or partner, although I don't grapple anymore for old/fat reasons. I agree the grip strength and hip conscious movements can carry over. 

Sometimes knees just like to get hurt lol. Mine sure like to take a beating once in a while.

climberish · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10
Anthony McGlynn wrote:

Yeah thats kind of what I thought. Im a limit pusher through and through. So obviously i want to climb higher and higher grades. I would love to be able to do like a multiday 5.10 or 5.11 climb or better. But so far I capped at 5.7 two pitch climb. Im pretty new to climbing still in general but have been loving it so far. However there is no way im giving up bjj or competition for it. 

Then you are pretty far away from worrying about the merits of cross-over BJJ and climbing training issues. Just keep on keeping on. Competing at that level of BJJ is impressive. 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Floyd Eggers wrote:

How did you hurt your knee? I thought knee injuries were bad form or partner,

You nailed it on both counts.  I was a noob, and I was rolling with a blue belt who I think hadn't been blue for long.  So much safer to grapple with a brown/black belt, even though it's totally not a contest.  He pushed me over backward weirdly and I hyperflexed my left knee, chipped the bone ends and almost tore a couple major ligaments.  No bueno.

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 856

I started various martial arts when I was 7 (I'm 32 now), transitioned to BJJ in high school and trained 3-5 days a week for 11 years. climbing has overtaken almost all my free time and extra cash but I still occasionally train. 

Emily Kagan · · Saint George, UT · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0
Anthony McGlynn wrote: Mostly of the Brazilian variety but are there any other grapplers out there? Seems the only thing I have going for me when climbing is my grip and I feel like jiujitsu is mostly to blame.

Jujitsu is a full body workout... if you’re overgripping, try rolling with lighter people or try practicing better hip movement. Switch to no-gi grappling and you’ll feel the difference

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Jiujitsu"