Mountain Project Logo

Mississippi palisades - twin sisters area

Original Post
Brad Christie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 25

I lead popover on the Open Bible of the twin sisters area.  I have climbed at the palisades many times, and expected to see a ring up top, similar to the sisters or sentinal.  Nothing.  So I sling a chicken head and lowered off.  How do most get down?

I looked in the book and see a 5.0 access route after getting home.  Do most just downclimb the access?  

Note:  sling and a non-locker free booty if anyone wants it up top.  

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 175
Brad Christie wrote: Do most just downclimb the access?  

Yup. There are a fair number of people that don't fully trust janky anchors on top of some of the freestanding pillars around the midwest.

Oh I totally get it.  Especially on that limestone the rock quality can be suspect.  Although the sentinal ring has been solid for 50 years.  
Some fun climbs on that open bible pedestal, particularly on the overhanging north side.  

Pokey819 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

We always used the access route to set up top ropes in that area.  Easy climb/down-climb.  

Yeah that makes sense now.  At the time I didnt know there was an access route.  And having lead popover needed to retrieve some placed gear.  Was with my sister, a very new climber, so downclimbing would not have been possible either way for her.  

If anybody wants the sling I left, take it.  Otherwise I will clean it next time I am there to LNT

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

Well, you could have lowered her and then downclimbed.

• Of course.  Had I known the access route existed that would have been fine.  And that's why the original question was if the downclimb was standard method.  
Mikeyy Blisz · · Glendale Heights, IL · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 246

I don't know the layout of the area, but others have suggested getting off of small towers like this in this fashion:

-Lower other climbers
-Have other climber remain tied in as a counterweight, or tie the rope to a tree
-Run the rope over the top of the pillar in a spot it won't slide off and rap off the other end. Can also run the rope through the ring to keep it from sliding off the tower

I have not tried this yet but just throwing it out there
Thoughts? Precautions anyone
Mikeyy Blisz wrote: I don't know the layout of the area, but others have suggested getting off of small towers like this in this fashion:

-Lower other climbers
-Have other climber remain tied in as a counterweight, or tie the rope to a tree
-Run the rope over the top of the pillar in a spot it won't slide off and rap off the other end. Can also run the rope through the ring to keep it from sliding off the tower

I have not tried this yet but just throwing it out there
Thoughts? Precautions anyone

I have done this while roofing a house with a steep pitch.  Tied off to a tree and rappelled the opposite side.  

Jesse Wilson · · Davenport, IA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0

wait hold up...theres something to climb there? any pics? I live an hr away? any cooridinates?

Justin Meyer · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2012 · Points: 47
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Mississippi palisades - twin sisters area"