Mountain Project Logo

Who else thinks this is absurd

Ryan Swanson · · Pepedidnothingwrong, freejg · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 50
Dankasaurus wrote:

And by the "this echo chamber" you mean the ENTIRE internet.  MP.com is just a tiny lame corporate drop in the huge bucket.

Naturally

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 111

Boo Hoo Snowflakes.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 873
Ryan Swanson wrote: I love the echo chamber this has become.  Post a liberal point of view, no post limits.  Post a conservative point of view, get banned.

#freejg
#pepedidnothingwrong

Guys? I think it was the devil's tower thread, but there was a multipage drift into who invented agriculture. Jg, trolling or no, I didn't care, expressed an interest in heritage corn. Enough so the conversation continued via email.

About the same time, Jeff Constine got put in a time out also. Jeff was back after awhile, jg has not been. And....sorry to say, the email we were corresponding on is gone also. That wouldn't happen with a mere ban, it would need to happen from jg's end.

Jg, if you see this, I truly hope you are well.

Best, Helen
Señor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Just want to say that Tony B and I had a great private exchange and came to understand each others' POV much better. Which just goes to show that sometimes this isn't a great forum for understanding what people are REALLY trying to say. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 111
Señor Arroz wrote: Just want to say that Tony B and I had a great private exchange and came to understand each others' POV much better. Which just goes to show that sometimes this isn't a great forum for understanding what people are REALLY trying to say. 

Especially because people try to find (and only see) the errors in a quickly written thought and not seek the truth hidden in the post.

Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote:

Especially because people try to find (and only see) the errors in a quickly written thought and not seek the truth hidden in the post.

True, plus I realized I was actually reacting to two different peoples' posts as if they represented the same POV. 

Andy Eiter · · Madison, WI · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 55
Señor Arroz wrote:

True, plus I realized I was actually reacting to two different peoples' posts as if they represented the same POV. 

I think this was the biggest hindrance to the thread.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,034

Most of the squabbles are people speaking past each other. 

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Posts can build off each other but, many times people get lumped in with the momentum and direction threads take.

Guilty by association.

@ 6:55
Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 673
Ryan Swanson wrote:

@ 6:55

i just wish he wasn't such a douchebag

Mike Brady wrote:

i just wish he wasn't such a douchebag

I too call people names when they are correct.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 673
Ryan Swanson wrote:

I too call people names when they are correct.

Thats my point. He makes some solid points sometimes.....I just wish he wasn't a dickhead frat boy about it. He can barely take criticism and can sometimes argue the way flat earthers argue.

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,285

Hmmmm... Look what I found.
They didn't burn/censor/delete the old tunes, but they let you know how they feel about them.
This is how I'd treat the issue, ideally.

Tony B wrote: Hmmmm... Look what I found.
They didn't burn/censor/delete the old tunes, but they let you know how they feel about them.
This is how I'd treat the issue, ideally.

This is great, Tony. Where did you find it?

Mike Brady wrote:

Thats my point. He makes some solid points sometimes.....I just wish he wasn't a dickhead frat boy about it. He can barely take criticism and can sometimes argue the way flat earthers argue.

Also, he keeps harping that these words "aren't racist." Even the biggest, most hardcore, PC activists I know don't tend to call any words "racist." They would call them "slurs" or "offensive." And, yeah, the same word can be totally okay depending on what it is being used for and/or context. Which is sometimes confusing. But go ahead and keep calling asians "orientals" just because this guy says it's just fine. 

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,285
Señor Arroz wrote:

This is great, Tony. Where did you find it?

A friend pointed it out.  Does it matter where I found it and does that question lead to a larger point?
Regardless, WB now includes it when you buy Looney Tunes Tom  & Jerry, cartoons, etc.  You open the case and there it is in front of the disk, or at least that's my understanding of the matter.

And companies like amazon also put in their own stuff according to what I read when I researched it.  You can have google match the image and follow the various news links that come up if you want to read more.  But the long and short of this that I gathered is that they don't censor, but they do highlight their disagreement with the issue and point out, in case it was too subtle, the rather objectionable stuff therein.

So in other words, they call to mind what was once accepted. And it becomes part of a discussion.
 Seems quite parallel to the discussion and is more or less what I said I'd do as an author. 

Tony B wrote:

A friend pointed it out.  Does it matter where I found it and does that question lead to a larger point?
Regardless, WB now includes it when you buy Looney Tunes Tom  & Jerry, cartoons, etc.  You open the case and there it is in front of the disk, or at least that's my understanding of the matter.

And companies like amazon also put in their own stuff according to what I read when I researched it.  You can have google match the image and follow the various news links that come up if you want to read more.  But the long and short of this that I gathered is that they don't censor, but they do highlight their disagreement with the issue and point out, in case it was too subtle, the rather objectionable stuff therein.

So in other words, they call to mind what was once accepted. And it becomes part of a discussion.
 Seems quite parallel to the discussion and is more or less what I said I'd do as an author. 

Thanks, Tony. That's cool. I'm glad they're providing historical context to those cartoons. They're amazing works of art in their own way and, yes, reflect certain sensibilities that haven't aged well with time. I think it's a great solution. 

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70
Señor Arroz wrote:

Reflect certain sensibilities that haven't aged well with time.

In your opinion, and from the lens you view the world through. 

Have you considered that you may not be correct? Have you considered that others may not agree with you? Because you seem to think that your values apply to everyone else and what offends you, offends everyone.
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

In your opinion, and from the lens you view the world through. 

Have you considered that you may not be correct? Have you considered that others may not agree with you? Because you seem to think that your values apply to everyone else and what offends you, offends everyone.

No, it is in the opinion of Warner Bros that commonly used racist stereotypes in their cartoons.

And YES bro, racism is not aging well with more and more time.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Community Forum
Post a Reply to "Who else thinks this is absurd"