Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Closures in Chiang Mai, Thailand (Crazy Horse)

Dustin H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 0

It looks like all information about the closure stopped in November. Does anyone know what the update on the closure is as of early March 2019?

Michael Lerner · · Davis, california · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

It’s still closed. 

Christopher Martin · · Columbus, OH · Joined Feb 2019 · Points: 0

I was there February 18th & 19th, 2019 and this place is going to be closed for awhile. There is land development happening right next door to the crag and a local (non climber) that lives 5 minutes away mentioned the construction started happening right around the time of the crag closure. I was told a government officials son is building on that land but this is all hearsay. There have been burnings happening in the area to grow mushrooms which makes me wonder why climbing is wrong but unsanctioned burnings goes unpunished. You can still walk the area but there is no climbing to be done unless you want to risk going to jail for no longer than 1 year and 5,000 ฿. There is a sign at the base of the road that states this. Even if you can't climb, the cave is still a very cool place to check out if you are near the area. I would recommend going without any climbing gear that way even if you get caught in the area, they know you are just walking the trails. 

. Mobes · · MDI · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 865
Christopher Martin wrote: I was there February 18th & 19th, 2019 and this place is going to be closed for awhile. There is land development happening right next door to the crag and a local (non climber) that lives 5 minutes away mentioned the construction started happening right around the time of the crag closure. I was told a government officials son is building on that land but this is all hearsay. There have been burnings happening in the area to grow mushrooms which makes me wonder why climbing is wrong but unsanctioned burnings goes unpunished. You can still walk the area but there is no climbing to be done unless you want to risk going to jail for no longer than 1 year and 5,000 ฿. There is a sign at the base of the road that states this. Even if you can't climb, the cave is still a very cool place to check out if you are near the area. I would recommend going without any climbing gear that way even if you get caught in the area, they know you are just walking the trails. 

I'll second hiking into the cave, it's pretty darn cool. Too bad for Chiang Mai climbing, the climbing scene must be suffering quite a bit there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Climbing Closures in Chiang Mai, Thailand (Craz…"