Mountain Project Logo

Visiting Kuaui

Original Post
Arie Beweirdo · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I will be visiting Kauai from August 23rd-30th. This is my first time to Kauai and actually it will be my first time to any of the Big Islands. Im hoping to connect to with climbing and hiking people  before heading over. I have nothing set in stone and would alsonull appreciate some tips on camping there, 

Mike Mu. · · hagerstown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 65

Arie, I will be in Kauai next week for 2 1/2 weeks with wife and kids in tow. We have visited each island several times, but we always come back with Kauai as our favorite.  We spent a month island hopping for our honeymoon 10 years ago and to try to keep the cost down we camped half the time.  We were disappointed at how shitty the campgrounds were at every single island--granted I dont think camping pumps a lot of money into the economy there, so the state's focus is not on the aesthetics of their campgrounds.  They ran the gamut from shitty to really shitty to here is a whole in the ground that you can sleep in-shitty.  The absolute worst campgrounds were on Kauai.  My wife still brings up the night spent at the far west shore campsight with young teenage bucks in their trucks tearing around our tent three feet from our heads.  Good times. Really, just throw down the coin for a hotel--camping there is not worth the hassle.  If you do decide to camp and go with the Kauai county parks department or whatever it is--you need permits.  

Hiking--there is plenty of that on Kauai.  The Na Pali coast hike is an awesome hike / backpack--I did the whole thing back in my fitter days as one LONG day--I would not recommend this.  There is a lot on this trail to stop off and explore; you want to linger.  There is a cool hike up NouNou mountain or something like that--it is near Kapa'a and wailua.  It takes you up a nice trail to overlook the southeastern part of the island.  Of course there are all the hikes up in Waimea canyon.  You can do a day / morning hike up at the extreme northern end of the main road--Ke'e beach i think.  That is the start of the Na Pali coast hike, but you can go 1-2 miles up it to a "secluded" beach with a monster cave--pretty neat.  Tunnels beach on the north side is snorkeling nirvana.  Kauai is such a badass place.  

I have found a few small places to boulder at down around Lihue and the airport.  nothing of note.  You can boulder up at the cave at Ke'e beach parking lot.  I am sure there is plenty of other stuff around tucked in the jungle, but climbing is not why you go there.  Get the "Kauai Revealed" book--this is what we have used on each island--"Big Island revealed", "Oahu Revealed" etc and they point you in the right direction for whatever you want.  

PM me if you want any further details about anything.  It is a great place

Will Wright · · Mesa, AZ · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 2,172

Hi Arie,

I'm sure you're getting excited about your trip to Kauai but if you're not aware, the north shore is still closed due to flood damage. This includes pretty much everything past Hanalei Bay, especially the Kalalau Trail and Ke'e Beach. There's still a ton to do on the island, but that's one of the main attractions, so I just wanted you to be aware.

I might still be on the island when you arrive, if you'd like to get out and do some bouldering feel free to PM me. Otherwise I just finished a small climbing guidebook for Kauai which I sell for $7.

Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Hawaii
Post a Reply to "Visiting Kuaui"