Mountain Project Logo

Becoming An administrator

Original Post
Jamison Knowlton · · Gloucester, MA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 984

I was curious how you become and administrator for my local area. It could really use some organization and it seems the former admins do not visit quite as much as they used to.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0
JamisonKnowlton wrote: I was curious how you become and administrator for my local area. It could really use some organization and it seems the former admins do not visit quite as much as they used to.

Who is "Ann" and why do you want to be her administrator? Oh you mean "and"

s.price · · Pagosa Springs · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

No he means "an" administrator.

A Johnson · · Atascadero · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 230

This is not going well.

You guys are on it, it's been edited although maybe it was a Freudian slip because I am trying to become an admin for Cape ANN

I forgot everyone on MP just wants to be witty and not help anyone

s.price · · Pagosa Springs · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,346

Wish I could help. Maybe contact Nick directly.

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,436

We look for new admins for areas that don't have one or more already, or where the existing admins might be burned out and ready to move on.  There are already three admins for MA, so working with them directly (or perhaps using the new "Improve" tools) is the better place to start in this case.

More generally, we look for folks that have made extensive contributions to the site, behave reasonably in the forum, and have an interest and personality type that enjoys reviewing the content and trying to make it as useful as possible for the rest of us climbers.

Nick Wilder wrote: We look for new admins for areas that don't have one or more already, or where the existing admins might be burned out and ready to move on.  There are already three admins for MA, so working with them directly (or perhaps using the new "Improve" tools) is the better place to start in this case.

More generally, we look for folks that have made extensive contributions to the site, behave reasonably in the forum, and have an interest and personality type that enjoys reviewing the content and trying to make it as useful as possible for the rest of us climbers.

Thanks Nick for the quick response, I will take your advice on the new improve tools. I've talked with the other administrators in the past, I will reach out to them. Maybe I can work with them to better organize my local area. Thanks so much!

s.price wrote: Wish I could help. Maybe contact Nick directly.

Appreciate it!

Alex McKenzie · · Nevada city, CA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 2,174

Well, I kind of want to be an admin in my local area because the admins we have are extremely rude and strict, way stricter than the majority of admins. All my local area needs is an admin that is actually likable.
I don't have a problem with ALL the admins in my area, (Justin Johnsen, for example, is definitely living up to his position) but a few ones (one in particular actually) I won't name are just ticking me off.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

Pro tip: getting along with the other admins would probably help.

Walter Edly · · Thomasville NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

I would think that humility and being able to treat people like they are in front of you would be a good start.  There are enough posts by people with "telephone balls" already.  Funny how being so far removed from contact makes people fearless, and act without consequence.

I know I need to get along better with some people, and my goal of becoming an admin in Auburn and Grass Valley may be unachievable. I'm probably too young anyways.

But I will still keep helping out the community either way.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,460
Alex McKenzie wrote: I know I need to get along better with some people, and my goal of becoming an admin in Auburn and Grass Valley may be unachievable. I'm probably too young anyways.

But I will still keep helping out the community either way.

Alex, the Climbing Illuminati does not take kindly to requests. Either you are of the chosen few or you are a peasant. You fate has already been decided.

Tradiban wrote:

Alex, the Climbing Illuminati does not take kindly to requests. Either you are of the chosen few or you are a peasant. You fate has already been decided.

And what makes you think this is a request? I'm just stating the cold, hard truth.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,460
Alex McKenzie wrote:

And what makes you think this is a request? I'm just stating the cold, hard truth.

Preach brotha!

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,186
JamisonKnowlton wrote: I forgot everyone on MP just wants to be witty and not help anyone

Perfect attitude. You’ll be great.

Nate Doyle · · Sierra Foothills · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 39

Alex, this isn't about editing all the one star reviews your photos got, is it? 

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Nathan Doyle wrote: Alex, this isn't about editing all the one star reviews your photos got, is it? 

LOL!

Fritz Nuffer · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 430
Dog That Can Smell Bad Posts wrote:
I'm gonna be sniffing around here, just in case...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Becoming An administrator "