Mountain Project Logo

WA pass/Cutthroat area fire closures

Zach Holt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 275
James Maltman wrote: What do people think chances of the liberty bell group being open by the weekend are?

The blue lake trailhead and almost all other closures are now open (and kind of busy). There are no current signs of the Cutthroat Fire, though they are still fighting/monitoring that fire. However, the Twisp river fire got worse last night and the smoke is blowing over the valley to the south east of the pass. Clear visibility at the moment but seems to be getting worse. 

Gabe O'Leary · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 828

The area is now open however there is another fire to keep an eye on in the area: inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6…

J Roatch · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 162

This fire is now considered 100% contained.

“Closures remain in effect on the following trails:
Cutthroat Lake Trail #483 and trailhead are closed
Pacific Crest Trail #2000 is closed from Rainy Pass to Snowy Lakes
Road #400 to Cutthroat Lake Trailhead is closed

Closures will be reassessed on a daily basis.“

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430

The above info is correct as of now. I'll try to share the latest to this thread. Hopeful for a complete reopening by the weekend, but we're good to go on all the main climbing areas at WA Pass except Cutthroat Wall for now. Smoke from the Gilbert Fire is staying east today, but things could change quickly, as it's fairly close to WA Pass as the crow flies.

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 430

Smoke from yesterday's 4400 acre growth in the Gilbert fire on Crescent Mountain. Looking towards Washington Pass from Winthrop. Most of the smoke is in the Twisp area today.

I have some international visitors curious about current conditions/closures of both Washington Pass and Leavenworth (snow creek wall) for the next few days if anybody has any information. Thank you! 

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

Snow Creek Wall: No smoke but toe blistering hot.

WA Pass: Throat burning smoke but pleasant temps.

Pick your poison. 

Parker Kempf · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 210
Jplotz wrote: Snow Creek Wall: No smoke but toe blistering hot.

Pick your poison. 

As in you were in WApass yesterday and you burned your throat? Or are you making an assumption 

Jplotz wrote: Snow Creek Wall: No smoke but toe blistering hot.

Pick your poison. 

Thank you! 

Parker Kempf wrote:

As in you were in WApass yesterday and you burned your throat? Or are you making an assumption 

Yeah. Just talking completely out my ass. That's why I respond to MP posts. 

It was clear on Friday at wa pass, but Smokey Sunday- depends on which way the wind blows from the fire up Twisp River rd.

Leavenworth is Smokey this morning.

We tried WA Pass on Sunday, turned around short of Winthrop with irritated lungs and headaches, and drove back to Leavenworth for some pleasant cragging at pearly gates. 

Andreas Dill · · Munich, DE · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

I am the international visitor about to leave for Leavenworth. Does anyone know if the alpine climbing in the area is affected by the smoke?

Jplotz wrote: We tried WA Pass on Sunday, turned around short of Winthrop with irritated lungs and headaches, and drove back to Leavenworth for some pleasant cragging at pearly gates. 

Yeah, better leave the alpine climbing to the hardmen ;)

It’s been worse in Twisp then it has been at wa pass, yesterday was the worst of the weekend though.
Andreas Dill wrote: I am the international visitor about to leave for Leavenworth. Does anyone know if the alpine climbing in the area is affected by the smoke?

I left too early to see into the mountains this morning, but it’s probably good to go. There’s is a new fire near Leavenworth so conditions may change.

Mikey Schaefer · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 233

It was bluebird up at the pass till late in the day today.  All the smoke from the Crescent fire must of been blowing east?It started to creep in around 6 but wasn’t that bad.  Down in the valley is a whole different story.  Pretty gross in Winthrop at the moment.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

one of the things i find interesting about the WA pass area is that it seems like the predominant wind direction changes pretty dramatically.  my wife and i climbed a peak in the general area last thursday evening and bivied on top.  early in the evening it was fairly clear on the peak, but you could see haze/smoke near the new fire (probably 20-ish miles away).  in the middle of the night we were totally surrounded by thick smoke with just an occulus of open sky above us.  then, at about 5:30 in the morning, the smoke around us was gone again.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Hey everyone, any updates on the smoke? I was planning on heading to Mt Goode in the next few days but I see that the Crescent Mountain Fire is in the neighborhood and it's projected to get worse.

Mikey Schaefer · · Reno, NV · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 233

Smoke at WA pass was probably a 6/10 yesterday for a good part of the day and the worst its been in the last few.  Generally the middle of the day has been ok with the most smoke in mornings and evenings.  The farther you head west from WA pass conditions seem to improve rapidly.

Kyle Elliott · · Granite falls · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 1,718

checked the Methow valley and leavenworth webcams and the smoke and haze looks pretty bad in both places, but not even close to as bad as last year. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "WA pass/Cutthroat area fire closures"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started