Mountain Project Logo

Baker - Coleman Deming Conditions?

Original Post
Dan Durst · · Richmond, Virginia · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Anyone familiar with recent conditions on the Coleman/Deming route that they could share?

I would check on CascadeClimbers for route reports, but the site seems to be down.

Thanks!

Bump--trying to get current info on the conditions of the glaciers for a trip next week.

CascadeClimbers is back up, but there are no recent trip reports there.

Also found this website, with a very brief description of conditions as of July 22:  http://mtbakerconditions.blogspot.com/2018/05/coleman-deming-2018.html

Thank you.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Dan, surely it's still in good shape.  The Coleman-Deming is pretty chill and it stays in condition for quite a while.  If you look at the tick list for the route, it got climbed by a bunch of people last weekend, no indication of any issues.  I've also seen multiple posts on Instagram from people who got up it.  I know this isn't a proper conditions report, but it goes, I'd say just get after it.

For what it's worth, I was on Shuksan last weekend and routes over there are in good shape and the cracks aren't very big yet, so that would be a good sign for Baker.

Andy Hansen · · Longmont, CO · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 2,446

There was some significant icefall on the Colfax Icefall (north face of Colfax Peak) area that crossed this season's standard track. Rerouting is possible heading climber's left when reaching the ice fall. Probably nothing to be too concerned about though. 

Kyle Tarry wrote: Dan, surely it's still in good shape.  The Coleman-Deming is pretty chill and it stays in condition for quite a while.  If you look at the tick list for the route, it got climbed by a bunch of people last weekend, no indication of any issues.  I've also seen multiple posts on Instagram from people who got up it.  I know this isn't a proper conditions report, but it goes, I'd say just get after it.

For what it's worth, I was on Shuksan last weekend and routes over there are in good shape and the cracks aren't very big yet, so that would be a good sign for Baker.

Thanks, Kyle.  I didn't realize I could see the tick list like that.  Great idea.  Learned something new.

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

Hay Dan, should be great right now. It can be climbed without too much complication through mid-September really. 

miles b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

The CD is in very rough shape, and a climb right now is far more complicated than you would expect. Significant difficulties crossing a large crack prior to gaining the Colfax-Baker saddle.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Baker - Coleman Deming Conditions?"
in the Pacific Northwest