Mountain Project Logo

Are these beyond saving or could I resole them?

Original Post
Linnea Ahlenius · · Gothenburg · Joined 24 days ago · Points: 0

I'm in need of some advise and I hope I've posted it in the right forum.

I've been wearing out my Five Ten Anasazi for roughly 3 years but now their reaching their limit. Is it possible to resole them or are they beyond saving? Never resoled them before.

Either way I'm thinking to buy a pair of new ones, but if it's possible to save them I'd like to use them for climbing outdoors (usually climb indoors). Or will they be as good as new after they've been resoled?

Also, if anyone know a good place for that in Barcelona? And what does it usually cost to resole a pair of climbing shoes?

Thankful for any advise I'll receive! 

curt86iroc · · Golden, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 53

generally, you need to resole well before you wear a hole completely through the shoe.  in my experience, these cannot be saved

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 195

Can, yes.  Should, no.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

Unlikely that the result would be worth paying for. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661

It's best to drown them in the bathtub and end their suffering.

Jim Urbec · · sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 47
Linnea Ahlenius · · Gothenburg · Joined 24 days ago · Points: 0

I guessed so.. Well, we had a nice run. Their not even worth "saving" for outdoor climbing? Outdoors I'm not climbing the most difficult routes and not particularly often (a few times per year) so don't want to buy completely new ones solely for that purpose.. 

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Linnea Ahlenius wrote: I guessed so.. Well, we had a nice run. Their not even worth "saving" for outdoor climbing? Outdoors I'm not climbing the most difficult routes and not particularly often (a few times per year) so don't want to buy completely new ones solely for that purpose.. 

My advice is to buy a new pair, and if you like them, invest in a second pair that you keep for when your first pair is out for resoling. Based on how long your first pair lasted, I'd expect two pairs to last an extremely long time for you.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

In addition to resole, you need the toe box stitched and then capped. Between new soles, toe caps as well as stitching, the cost will be nearly that of new shoes. They also will not perform as well as new shoes after the stitch job. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Are these beyond saving or could I resole them? "
in the Climbing Gear Discussion