Mountain Project Logo

Gear you would buy used

Original Post
Andrew O'Neill · · State College PA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 0

Based on your experience or fears, what gear would you buy used? You shouldn't buy a rope used for sure, and shoes are fine. Would you buy a used grigri or a cam?

Sam Miller · · Bend, OR · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30

Any hardgoods. I and many others buy mostly used gear. I generally avoid used slings and ropes though.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535
Sam Miller wrote: Any hardgoods. I and many others buy mostly used gear. I generally avoid used slings and ropes though.

+1

Travis Bieber · · Spearfish, SD · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 48

Packs and rope bags

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

+1 on hard goods as well. Slings get replaced on any cam I buy used. I only have two, and they are small specialty type cams, went right to Yates for re-slinging when I got them. I wouldn't buy a used helmet. A rope that hasn't been used would be OK for me. There have been several for sale here on MP that were still in the original packaging I would be fine with.

I am always a little leery about quickdraws, they have a "soft goods" component to them, that can be compromised by strong acids, too long in the sun etc. so if I buy the QD, it is for the biners only.

Ancent · · Reno, NV · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 34

Everything and anything, depending on condition, age, ability to view in person. Hardgoods are much easier to blindly trust.

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 115
Ancent wrote: Everything and anything, depending on condition, age, ability to view in person. Hardgoods are much easier to blindly trust.

This.

Andrew Child · · Santa Clara · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 681

List of things I've bought used:

• Cams
  • Carabiners
  • Ascenders
  • Aiders
  • Crash pads
  • Hang Boards
  • Nuts
  • Hexes
  • Nut Tool
Generally I'd be comfortable with anything that's not a rope a sling or a harness
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Gear you would buy used"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion