Mountain Project Logo

Belay Devices

Lee Payne · · Austin, TX · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 102
PatMas wrote:

This is okay until you rap past a belay station, then try ascending a rope. It will lock up every time you take slack. Best way is a full flip. To where the wire is on the opposite side of the belay carabiner. That way it won’t lock either way.

That's what I was trying to describe, the non-locking orientation. I guess I did a poor job.
Ryan SD · · Rapid City, SD / Reno, NV · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

This. Had the guide atc, then the reverso whatever the number(2,4,6??), now the pivot...pivot is worth the extra $5 for the ability to lower your follower if need be and not jolt the system. Simple to lower smoothly by raising the bottom up with almost no effort. Will never go back to guide or reverso.

Going for the pivot as well....so so smooth in guide mode. Never going back to the bd guide again. 

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Mad Rock Lifeguard for lead belay, DMM Pivot for guide mode and rappelling

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

Both are stainless steel where they contact the rope so it stays cleaner for that much longer...

Mammut Bionic Alpine Belay ATC

Edelrid HMS Bulletproof Screw VPE5 Locking Biner

Jordan Duncan · · Norwalk, OH · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 20
Jim Titt wrote: GriGri 1 and ATC XP

Make that the GriGri+

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,622

I have a DMM Pivot for the multi-pitch stuff, trad and sport and a Wild Country Revo for the single pitch sport..

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194
Alan Coon · · Longmont, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 350
Josh Lowy wrote: MegaJul.  Assisted brake like the grigri but feeds easier, lighter on the wall, and has 2 slots for rappelling.  Rappelling on the megajul is not the smoothest though.

You’re puttig that very kindly. It.... sucks to rappel on. Everything is awesome about it though 

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Khoi wrote: The tradeoff (with the Omega Pacific SBGII) is that if you are belaying a hangdogger you probably won't get as much locking off power compared to other tube style belay devices since the belay device isn't pushed up against the belay biner.

Flipping the SBG to the high friction grooves will give you all the locking power you need for any hangdogging sporto 

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 490
kevin deweese wrote:

Flipping the SBG to the high friction grooves will give you all the locking power you need for any hangdogging sporto 

Clearly your idea of locking off is different to ours.

climber pat · · Las Cruces NM · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 286

I use the Alpine up.

Jim Titt wrote:

Clearly your idea of locking off is different to ours.

Clearly you're not interested in applying the context of the quoted post. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

EASY fellers!

Hey Kev, how's ur projie coming along?

:D

Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: EASY fellers!

Hey Kev, how's ur projie coming along?

:D

We bailed for the weekend after heart palpitations and dry heaving from the smoke. Interestingly enough while rapping our fixed lines with my SBG, I marveled at its ability to hold me even without my hand on the brake strand, but I wouldn't call that locking off, more like fat ropes just want a bit more loving from the belay device before letting their brief but intimate encounter go. 

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Ah, sorry to hear it.

Yea, it was like Mordor up there on sat.

Endeavor to Persevere.

---Lone Watie The Outlaw Josey Wales

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Belay Devices"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started