Mountain Project Logo

Best shoe for beginners

Original Post
Michael Dougie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

I am a beginner climber and want to purchase some quality to shoes. I found this guide here but would prefer some advice from more experienced climbers.

Thanks!

Ryan SD · · Rapid City, SD / Reno, NV · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

No need to get anything super nice. You are going to trash them anyways and you wont bd climbing hard enough to utilize anything on super expensive models.....go to the store and see which one fits you best.....I've always recommended the la sportiva tarantulace/tarantula for my beginning friends. Solid shoe that will last a while in my experience. 

Im Sorry · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 20

Back in the day people used to climb in chucks.  You should make a new statement and just climb hard in street shoes.  Claim you can't afford shoes cause you live the dirt bag lifestyle too hard.  Then go send some rigs without shoes like a true OG.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342

Whatever is comfortable and on sale. 

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 16

Whatever fits best is my only recommendation. If you are going to be gym climbing, get a nice pair of slippers (whatever the brand) or Velcro's.  If you have wider feet, the Anasazi last from 5.10 will probably fit. It you have really narrow feet, the La Sportiva lasts tend to fit better. Juts a rule of thumb.  I don't have any recommendations on the Scarpa brand, I haven't worn any for years.

Baba Fats · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Scarpa helix fit my wide-add shallow heal foot nicely for my first shoe.  

But like everyone above said, get a flat last, really comfortable shoe.  Your footwork will be sloppy for the first year.  Hell, my footwork is still kind of sloppy after almost 3 years.  Sloppy feet will destroy your shoes quickly.  Get something cheap that you won’t mind damaging 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best shoe for beginners"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started