Mountain Project Logo

Canadian Spots on Map

Original Post
Nolan Huther · · Potsdam, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 510

It'd be nice to know more than just see the climbing spots broken up by province and territory...

Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 3,436

Zoom in and you should see more.  It's also possible that some areas don't have the location set.

Nolan Huther · · Potsdam, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 510

I know how the map works. Consider this zoomed in selection of the Bugaboos, which has a set location but no icon. The nearest icon is "Alberta". It does work but not on the scale that it does for the United States. I'd like to be able to see different countries with the climbing area density at the same altituide that the US does.

Ah, sorry.  I'll research this next week and see what's up.

I'm able to slightly fix this: Canadian provinces HUGE, but on the map they were being treated like US states, so the Canadian data was too sparse.  I was able to treat each province more like the entire US, which helps.  But the Bugaboos are still a challenge: that area covers a large geography, but it's nested deeply in the hierarchy: (Canada > British Columbia > Columbia Mountains > Purcell Mountains > The Bugaboos), so it gets treated as a smaller area.  I've made the code change but it won't be visible until about Monday.

Summary: most areas in Canada will get better but maybe not Bugaboos.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Help
Post a Reply to "Canadian Spots on Map"