Mountain Project Logo

Vegas to Sacramento

Original Post
Kennedy Carey · · Midlothian, VA · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 240

My buddy and I are taking a 5 day road trip for climbing this October. Flying into Vegas and out of Sacramento. Figured we'd crush it in Red Rocks then roll through Yosemite. Any suggestions on any other spots we may want to check out along the way We climb up to 5.8 Trad, and 5.10 Sport. Definitely looking to crush some big adventure climbs and any classics. 

jg fox · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

If you are on the Western side of the Sierra, then hit up Lover's Leap and some of the other Tahoe crags (supertopo has you covered).  Eastern side, some good stuff near Bishop like Alabama Hills and Owens River Gorge.  May still be in season to do some climbs around Mammoth and the Whitney Portal.

If the road is still open, Tuolumne Meadow may be a good spot.  If you stay South, maybe new Jack City.  You could also hit up Sequoia.

You have quite a few choices.  Hard to narrow it down.

Have fun.

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241

That’s not very long, really. You could just hit those two places and just scratch the surface, I don’t see packing in too many other places unless you’re doing speed and not sleeping at all or something.

Lin Robinson · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

Crush all the crushable stuff in one or the other. You’ll spend more time crushing drives than crushing routes. Keep crushing crushers.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Colonel Mustard wrote: That’s not very long, really. You could just hit those two places and just scratch the surface, I don’t see packing in too many other places unless you’re doing speed and not sleeping at all or something.

Agreed. Last time I went to Red Rock for 9 days and didn't get to climb all the stuff I wanted to climb. I'm sure Yosemite is the same (though I haven't been). It seems pointless to me to add more places. If anything, I'd choose one of the places and focus on that rather than trying to do both.

Rico Tan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 100

October is great for J tree , not too far from Red rock IMO .  Needles might still be climable if you don’t want to go south of Vegas 

cassondra l · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 335

It would be easy to spend the whole time in Vegas. More crushing, less driving. And at the grades you are looking to climb, you are unlikely to exhaust all the possibilities there.

David K · · The Road, Sometimes Chattan… · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 423
Mick wrote:

Maybe for most people but they are going to crush it so.....

True, once they've crushed the Rainbow Wall, The Nose, and The Dawn wall, there won't be much left worth doing in either place, so it seems best to move on. Maybe they can use all that extra time for a road trip up to Thor Peak to snag an FFA/speed record of the west face.

Peter J · · Bishop · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 646

There is a trump tower in vegas right? If you can climb C1 suction cups it might be worth checking out!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Vegas to Sacramento "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started