Mountain Project Logo

Ferguson Fire Affecting Yosemite

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

The kids and I went for hike this morning at Little Lakes.  Nice blue skies compared to yesterday, when it was a solid wall of smoke and haze starting in Mojave northward.  Visibility of only about 3-5 miles. Didn't see asingle peak on the whole drive north until we got to Tom's Palce, where we could see a smidge of blue sky. We were at the Mammoth bike park in the afternoon. The lift operators were wearing masks.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

I have heard that the fire has burned to an jumped up 120 as well as jumping 41 an burning towards Badger Pass....apocalypse now...

Mark P. · · Luzern, Schweiz · Joined May 2013 · Points: 1,846

So I was planning on climbing this week between Tuolomne Meadows and Tahoe, even a bit north of there, but now the air quality and fires have got me concerned about that plan.

Any suggestions on where might be good to climb and camp in that region this week?

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

It's starting to look like the only place to climb away from smoke and fires is up on the north coast 

old5ten · · Sunny Slopes + Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 4,767
Mark P. wrote: So I was planning on climbing this week between Tuolomne Meadows and Tahoe, even a bit north of there, but now the air quality and fires have got me concerned about that plan.

Any suggestions on where might be good to climb and camp in that region this week?

there is a new fire right along 108, donnell.  108 is closed a bit east of strawberry.  i would expect more smoke from this fire (in addition to the current smoke from ferguson).

that said, we had an awesome morning/early afternoon (it socked in later) climbing at cardinal pinnacle yesterday.

8/5/18 - view toward lake sabrina from top of P3 west face/cardinal pinnacle

from my perspective, the current reality is that one has to be flexible and opportunistic to make climbing happen in the sierra/eastside/yosemite/tahoe.  

looking at general smoke patterns (bluesky daily runs) it seems that being more south (of mammoth lakes) and higher up helps.  however, i'm currently looking out the window in sunny slopes and have some haze across the street in my neighbor's trees...

Yesterday Rock Creek would have been fine.  We also checked out the Sherwin Plateau area (e.g., Pocketopia) which wasn't as good, but not as bad as it could have been.  Check the wind.  That will probably be the biggest indicator of what your day will be like.  

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,318

Yesterday NWS Boise posted this western states smoke simulation.  There's also an interactive NOAA smoke forecast here, but it's been slow and/or throwing 500 errors.

marcin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 140

Tuolumne Meadows Store web cam.

https://www.nps.gov/customcf/webcam/dsp_webcam_image.cfm?id=81B46511-1DD8-B71B-0BF4530A57767712

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

Ferguson fire is 80% contained. Just go.

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Ferguson fire is 80% contained. Just go.

Just because it's contained does not mean it's not still burning. They will let it burn out most likely, so it's going to be smoky for a while yet I am guessing

c b wrote:

Just because it's contained does not mean it's not still burning. They will let it burn out most likely, so it's going to be smoky for a while yet I am guessing

Just check the Meadows webcam, every morning seems fine.

I was in the Valley at its worst, totally climbable (for me). It was a pleasure hanging out at the base of popular stuff with no one around, like bitd.
David S · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 385

Just to be clear, that webcam link that marcin posted hasn't been updated since last October. It's been the same image since the Meadows store shut down for the season last year.

Michael Swanson · · Oregon · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0
David S. wrote: Just to be clear, that webcam link that marcin posted hasn't been updated since last October. It's been the same image since the Meadows store shut down for the season last year.

The webcam link for me shows today's date, I have been checking it the last few days and it seems current.

The webcam is current as far as I can tell.  It showed a different image now than when I looked at it yesterday. 

marcin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 140
https://www.nps.gov/customcf/webcam/dsp_webcam_image.cfm?id=81B46511-1DD8-B71B-0BF4530A57767712 

David you might need to refresh your browser.
It's working and updated 5 minutes ago.
I attached it as a link this time. 
Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Yosemite Valley is reopening on Tuesday

David S · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 385
marcin wrote: https://www.nps.gov/customcf/webcam/dsp_webcam_image.cfm?id=81B46511-1DD8-B71B-0BF4530A57767712 

David you might need to refresh your browser.
It's working and updated 5 minutes ago.
I attached it as a link this time. 

My bad, you are correct!

Valley right now. Get some:

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981
Harumpfster Boondoggle wrote: Valley right now. Get some:

Hard to believe the fire was so close just a few days ago and now everything looks so serene. No wonder Mother Nature never worries about fire

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Ferguson Fire Affecting Yosemite"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started