Mountain Project Logo

Backpacking for a month, what bag should I use?

Original Post
Dominique Arsenault · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

I’m going to be backpacking around Asia (mostly Taiwan) for a month, and want to carry my climbing gear and camping gear. Any recommendations on which bag to use for that (or other thoughts on light weight traveling)?

dsauerbrun · · Boulder · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 55

I did this around europe with my Gregory baltoro 80L pack... I would not recommend it. You're carrying a loooot of weight when you'll mostly be staying in hostels/refugios(although im not sure about the specifics of taiwan, I know accommodation in SE asia is quite cheap).

Either way, I had a big agnes fly creek UL2(2 person ultralight tent), big agnes q-core SLX(lightweight blow up pad), and a pretty compact sleeping bag. This only added an extra 4-5 pounds but combined with my sport rack, rope, and other stuff my pack was packed to the brim and was super heavy. I didn't even bring cooking equipment with me... if i had done that i probably would have ditched it somewhere.

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 135

Something big enough for all your gear.  Are you going from Hostel to Hostel, or are you actually backpacking and camping?  what climbing gear are you bringing, a trad rack, rope and draws, or just shoes for bouldering?

I like 80 - 85L expedition packs.  Check the waether forecast, you may need a rain cover or a very water proof pack.  I recently bought a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace 85L and I like how it is set up. It is a panel loader, so it is easy to sort gear, but it is also less water resistant with the extra seams.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Backpacking for a month, what bag should I use? "