Mountain Project Logo

iOS app broken, can't download areas

Original Post
MP User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Hi

I bought the Mountain Project app for ios 5 years ago, and it has been indispensable, and have used it every year since then through many versions of phones and the app. I hadn't used it for a few months and started it up yesterday to download areas for a climbing trip and now I am unable to download new areas at all!

I get the message: "An error occurred contacting Mountain Project. Please check your connectivity and try again". Yes, my phone is connected to the internet.

I already had heaps of areas installed and they worked. I deleted them and the app, re-installed the app to see if that would fix the problem. But I still can't add areas. And now I have an empty app with no areas :(

I'm using an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.2.1. Could downloads have been broken for older versions of the app? The word 'older' is a bit heavy, since this version is only 2 years old and everything used to work perfectly (until I reinstalled the app) and the rest of my phone works perfectly.

Thanks

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
MP User wrote: Hi

I bought the Mountain Project app for ios 5 years ago, and it has been indispensable, and have used it every year since then through many versions of phones and the app. I hadn't used it for a few months and started it up yesterday to download areas for a climbing trip and now I am unable to download new areas at all!

I get the message: "An error occurred contacting Mountain Project. Please check your connectivity and try again". Yes, my phone is connected to the internet.

I already had heaps of areas installed and they worked. I deleted them and the app, re-installed the app to see if that would fix the problem. But I still can't add areas. And now I have an empty app with no areas :(

I'm using an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.2.1. Could downloads have been broken for older versions of the app? The word 'older' is a bit heavy, since this version is only 2 years old and everything used to work perfectly (until I reinstalled the app) and the rest of my phone works perfectly.

Thanks

You cannot add areas in the latest version, only entire states.

MP User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Oh ok, that's interesting. Maybe that broke the old app, which only lets you add areas from within states, not states themselves?

If so, that's pretty damn annoying, basically anyone with a phone older than a couple of years old can't use the mobile app if they bought it :(

Can anyone that works on the app please confirm this?

Eric Internicola · · Westminster, CO · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

MP User,

A lot has changed in the past couple of years.  Mountain project no longer downloads single areas, it now downloads an entire state at a time.  That is the reason your old version won't update its content.  

Your current device's OS (9.2.1) cannot install the latest Mountain Project because  the latest version of Mountain Project requires iOS 9.3 to run.  I will make sure the next version of Mountain Project supports 9.0 and above.  When that happens, you will be able to install the latest version and be up and running again.

Look out for version 4.1.4.

- Eric

Chau Tran · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 0

I downloaded the California Area routes and have bookmarked The Tramway. but how do I use this app without data offline? I can't seem to figure it out. I would like to be able to use the app to navigate from one boulder to the next while on airplane mode.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

iPhone & Android App Feedback
Post a Reply to "iOS app broken, can't download areas"