Mountain Project Logo

Rapid 3D analysis of rockfalls in Yosemite

Original Post
mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47

I don't know why I end up seeing this sort of thing, but here is another pretty rad analysis of Yosemite rockfall. Again, please ignore if less nerdy than I.

Precise mapping and measurement of rockfall

"The cumulative volume of all rockfalls on 27 Sept. was 453.3 ± 42.3 m3, with the first event being the largest at 290.0 ± 27.8 m3". And if I'm reading the figure correctly, the slab that fell is up to 8m deep, cumulatively. Wow. If it were me, I would just use the Eddie Murphy method, but this is stunning. 

More interesting, this: "This geom- etry, combined with a simplified fracture mechanics analysis, indicates that the sheet should detach with another 20% of fractur- ing along the partially attached side. Although the 3-D data do not allow us to predict exactly when this will occur, they do define the precise location and volume of this future rockfall."
Of course, if it were me, I'd just use the heuristic: "I'm staying the fuck away from that side of El Cap."
Derek Field · · Nevada · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 5,986

Fascinating stuff. SfM is a pretty neat tool for analyses like this. Showing this to my intro Geology class today at Cal Lutheran University! 

mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47

Nice. Seems like there are lots of climbers on the faculty there...

Derek Field · · Nevada · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 5,986

Aw man, I've gotta meet them, then. I'm the lone climber on the Geology faculty these days. I'm new though, so I haven't met all the faculty from other departments...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Rapid 3D analysis of rockfalls in Yosemite"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started